We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Professional video camera in UAE.

Which Sharjah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
111 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Professional video camera in UAE.

I had problems with usage of my professional video camera in Egypt in Cairo and on Pyramids. Our guide said that with this big camera I will look like journalist and it is better not to use it now in Cairo. He also said that on Pyramids to use my camera I need 700$ license. But for small amateur video camera – no problem.

I need to say, that even at home – in the USA – I was not permitted to use the camera on Empire State Building in New York.

What about United Arab Emirates? It looks like video and photo activities have many restrictions there. May be just not to take professional camera and take small amateur to the tour? Both of them are 3D – so not so much to lose. 

Thank you.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Professional video camera in UAE.

1. Taking pictures of some areas and places in the UAE may be strictly prohibited especially regarding specific areas.. There will be signs on those places. Some people have taken pictures without reading the signs and have been in trouble for that. This is just where they used a normal camera.

2. Having a professional camera will make you look suspicious but the best way to find out is to ask /inquire about it first -check travel advisory on your government website also-. Find out if you need special permission which is highly likely.

3. Also, as far as I know you are not allowed to take pictures of people without their permission, or even their car plate numbers.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Professional video camera in UAE.

Places where photography is prohibited are clearly mentioned with signboards. Using a professional video camera will make you stand out in the crowd. Better avoid that.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,537 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Professional video camera in UAE.

In short using professional equipment indicates that you are making a media production. Therefore and like in the USA you will need a permission: filmdubai.gov.ae/filming-in-dubai/how-to-fil…

The good news is that contrary to the USA you can get the needed permission in a one stop shop from one governmental body.

Boston...
Level Contributor
111 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Professional video camera in UAE.

Thank you very much for the replays!

Boston...
Level Contributor
111 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Professional video camera in UAE.

Thank you again for replays. This is what happened. Everything everywhere was fine with my camera. Only in one place - in Abu Dhabi sheikh Zayed mosque - was an issue. Our guide said us, that I can use my camera. I took video inside the mosque in presence of security guards without problems. But when I went out, one of them came to me and said, that such camera needs special permission. I told him, that the guide told me nothing about this. -Who is your guide? - the person asked. I look around - she was not near us at that time. I continue to speak with the person, saying that I am sorry and if I new it in advance I will not use it. The guard was very polite, me too. The guide didn't show up, and after a couple of minutes the guard let me go.

Edited: 03 October 2014, 03:14
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,871 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Professional video camera in UAE.

Just to be clear and help others, are you talking about your small camera or your big professional camera?

Boston...
Level Contributor
111 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Professional video camera in UAE.

About big one - about professional. In all other places - In Dubai shopping centers, in museums, on the streets etc. there were no problems with it.

Edited: 03 October 2014, 11:47
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,871 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Professional video camera in UAE.

Nikolay, thanks for coming back to the forum to let us know how you got on.

Молодятин
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Professional video camera in UAE.

See my photos of Sharjah http://tema3.ru/sharjah

10. Re: Professional video camera in UAE.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Sharjah