We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colonia, Montevideo, or Buenos Aires?

Georgia
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Colonia, Montevideo, or Buenos Aires?

I will be in Montevideo overnight while on a cruise in February.

Would I enjoy a day trip to Colonia the first day and then a city/winery tour in Montevideo the second day? Or should I try to get a day trip to B.A.? If I go to B.A., should I keep the day trip to Colonia or the city/winery tour in Montevideo? LOL, sorry if this post is confusing...

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,762 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colonia, Montevideo, or Buenos Aires?

Hi there,

I love Buenos Aires but wouldn't go there during the summer and it's a large city, you need much more than one day to actually see Buenos Aires and enjoy everything it has to offer.

In your case, I would just stay in Montevideo one day, do a city/winery tour and spend the second day touring the east shore beaches. Colonia is a small, gorgeous colonial town that you can visit in one day too if that's more to your liking.

Silvia

Edited: 23 August 2010, 17:54
Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colonia, Montevideo, or Buenos Aires?

I agree with Expat that trying to do a day-trip to BA doesn't make much sense. The ferry is three hours each way, so your actual time in BA would be minimal.

Your cruise probably stops in Punta del Este before or after Montevideo. But if not, consider a day trip to that beach resort; it's about two hours by bus from Montevideo.

Colonia is a nice little town with a small, well preserved colonial sector. But if you have seen colonial towns in other parts of South America, it might not add much to those experiences. The wine country is just inland from Montevideo and you might enjoy a full day for Montevideo and much of a day for exploring inland.

3. Re: Colonia, Montevideo, or Buenos Aires?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2011, 06:28
Get answers to your questions about Colonia del Sacramento