We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colonia del Sacramento on 25 December 2010

Israel
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Colonia del Sacramento on 25 December 2010

Plan to be in Colonia del Sacramento on 25 Dec. Boquebus has several scheduled passages from BA on the 25th so this will not be a problem. Question is whether the car rental agencies, gift stores, restaurants, historic sites, tourist attactions, etc. will be open in Colonia on 25 Dec.?

Mentioned in this post
Colonia del Sacramento
Colonia del Sacramento
Colonia Department, Uruguay
Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
515 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colonia del Sacramento on 25 December 2010

That will be a difficult day, but, if you ask me, I´d rather be in Colonia than in Buenos Aires. You see, Christmas is celebrated as a big party like New Years. Everybody goes dancing very late that night after having dinner with the family. Buquebus has the busiest day, because it is the beginning of the summer season, people wants to be at the beach for new Years Eve. But you´ll find a place to eat, some shops probably will open, but those run by the owners, because employees will have the day off.

Dont expect museums to be open, but the nature around COlonia is nice to enjoy at that time, specially at the coast; even it is the river, there is enjoyable beaches here, so bring along your swimsuit.

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
653 posts
489 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colonia del Sacramento on 25 December 2010

Hi Dozer,

I was about to post the same question. We are contemplating the same journey. I also am considering Montevideo instead. Perhaps we will see you on the ferry!

Mentioned in this post
Montevideo
Montevideo
Montevideo Department, Uruguay
Israel
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colonia del Sacramento on 25 December 2010

Due to the holidays of Christmas, New Years, the days before and the days after we decided to postpone our vacation and start it on 5 January. This eliminates all the complications.

dozer

Uruguay
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
515 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colonia del Sacramento on 25 December 2010

January 6th. is another hollyday! (just joking) It is, but not as important as Christmas.

b.c. ca
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colonia del Sacramento on 25 December 2010

Thanks for your info.

I We are another couple of senior canadian tourists tying to escapeBA on Christmas. Our difficulty is getting a reasonable hotel in colonia with vacancies! Any suggestions please?

b.c. ca
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colonia del Sacramento on 25 December 2010

Thanks for your info.

I We are another couple of senior canadian tourists tying to escapeBA on Christmas. Our difficulty is getting a reasonable hotel in colonia with vacancies! Any suggestions please?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
653 posts
489 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colonia del Sacramento on 25 December 2010

This isn't an answer to your question but merely a suggestion. I guess we are considered seniors too (but don't feel it)..but we decided to take the one hour ferry for the day and return to BA so we don't have to change hotels.

Uruguay
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
515 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colonia del Sacramento on 25 December 2010

if you like to try www.hotelesencolonia.com to find out what´s available, let me know if you need any further help.

9. Re: Colonia del Sacramento on 25 December 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2011, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Colonia del Sacramento
Recent Conversations