We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colonia Express vs. Buquebus

Which Colonia del Sacramento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Colonia Express vs. Buquebus

Hello.... we are planning to go to Colonia on Christmas Eve - and trying to book the ferry tickets. I was wondering if Buquebus is better than Colonia Express. Colonia Express is cheaper by about 65 pesos. I tried booking tickets thru Colonia Express website - very confusing - 228 pesos per person for one day return - but doesn't specify if it's on the quick ship or not. Any other comments or concerns we need to be aware of. Thanks...

Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colonia Express vs. Buquebus

Colonia Express has only one option of boat, and it is the fast one. It´s a small boat, doesn´t take cars like buquebus. Probably the only option for the day tour is confusing for you, because you´re paying also for a walking tour from the harbour to the historical district of 1 hour. Then you know the place, and in your can plan what you do on free time. You can also choose to include a lunch. Buquebus offers somehow the same, but the tour has a bus part, where you see more of the suburbs, and the lunch included is not very good. By Buquebus you can buy just the boat ticket, and not doing the tour at all. I hope it helps.

Edited: 15 December 2010, 12:18
Chicago
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colonia Express vs. Buquebus

Thanks for your reply, however, we are not buying the package - only the ferry ticket. So only looking at the ferry ride, is Colonia express good? how long does the ride take each way between Colonia and Buenos Aires? Thanks again.

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colonia Express vs. Buquebus

Use Buquebus, period. It is infinitely better, the point of departure in BA is much better, and it is dependable, which Colonia Express is not. Buquebus has two types of boats: one takes one hour BA to Colonia, the other takes three hours.

Chicago
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colonia Express vs. Buquebus

Thanks for your reply, PuntaLugano. I wish I had read your review before booking on the Colonia Express... I really hope, everything goes well with it now.!!!

Chicago
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colonia Express vs. Buquebus

Everything went well with Colonia Express. We had bought a day tour thru Colonia Express - which included breakfast (coffee and a snack) on board and a guided walking tour of Colonia. Guide was good.

Thanks everyone for your replies. We had a great time in Buenos Aires and Colonia - great places to visit - wish we had a little more time in BA....!

Varginha, MG
Level Contributor
3 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colonia Express vs. Buquebus

Hello.

We are planing to go to Colinia, next march. We have traveld by buquebus two years ago. It was fine. But the Colonia Express price is extremely cheaper: 1200 vs 200 (4 person ticket - one day tour).

I'm kind of afraid to buy. I need your help and information: is it dependable? It was easy to get to the departure in BsAs? Did you find out the boat in good conditions ? Do you think it is safe?

Thanks for your help

Edited: 24 January 2011, 21:02
Copenhagen
Level Contributor
639 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colonia Express vs. Buquebus

It is safe, but just not as comfortable!

Varginha, MG
Level Contributor
3 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colonia Express vs. Buquebus

Thank you Jefr99.

It is a very important information for us, because we are going with our parents. Thanks.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Colonia Express vs. Buquebus

Dear tinkywinky12

Concerning the Colonia Express's Daytour package you have been on, I'd like to ask what time the boat sets off back to Buenos Aires. I'm sorry I coudn't find this information anywhere. I have even emailed the company twice but nobody has answered it yet.

Edited: 15 February 2011, 00:03
Montevideo, Uruguay
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Colonia Express vs. Buquebus

I haven't used the Colonia Express but I have used the Buquebus about a week ago. Our experience on the Buquebus was excellent. We left on time, arrived on time, and all in all it was very easy sailing. There was a Colonia Express due to leave 15 minutes before our Buquebus, however, and people were still not boarding this boat when we were leaving the harbour. I don't know if that's a regular thing but thought I'd share this info.

Get answers to your questions about Colonia del Sacramento