We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must I buy Uruguayian money for a day in Colonia?

Which Colonia del Sacramento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn NY
Level Contributor
50 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Must I buy Uruguayian money for a day in Colonia?

I will be taking a day trip from Buenos Aires to Colonia de Sacremento, by ferry. Do I need Uruguayian money or can I pay in the shops with US dollars? I also have a cruise port stop in Montevideo. I know I can use credit cards, but will people in small shops and markets accept US dollars?

Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must I buy Uruguayian money for a day in Colonia?

Argentinean money and USD are accepted as local money eveywhere in Colonia, but in museums (50 uruguayan peso=2.5 USD) even in supermarkets and small stores, they tell you the price in that currency, and you don´t need to convert. In Montevideo is not so common, but I´m sure in turistic areas they are used to it too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must I buy Uruguayian money for a day in Colonia?

I would buy Uruguayans. They might accept other currencies but at their own rates --not those published in any currency site. Most places do not take cards and thouse which do, might only take a credit VISA issued in Uruguay or Argentina.

California
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must I buy Uruguayian money for a day in Colonia?

We came back from Buenos Aires and Uruguay yesterday.

Almost all the places will accept US dollars, but you have to keep in mind that you will get your change in pesos. You can always get some local pesos from ATM.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,818 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must I buy Uruguayian money for a day in Colonia?

"Most places do not take cards and thouse which do, might only take a credit VISA issued in Uruguay or Argentina."

Not my experience. I travel to Montevideo every year and have also gone to Colonia. I use my US credit cards with no problem. Most shops, bars and restaurants take credit cards. The only issue is that you need to let your credit cards company know where you will be traveling and expecting to use it; otherwise, your bank may cancel it to prevent fraud. Of course, you'll be charged a 2-3% foreign exchange fee, and the exchange rate is not always very good.

I agree that it is best to carry Uruguayan money. This is the same in every country. Shops will take your foreign currency but the exchange rate won't be favorable.

One thing that you'll find in Uruguay is that many expensive things are quoted in US dollars. When quoted in dollars, of course, you're better off paying in dollars.

ATMs dispense both US dollars (in 100 denominations) and pesos. If you plan using your ATM card, do let your bank know beforehand too. The easiest ATMs to withdraw with a US atm card is from a BROU (Banco de la Republica) ATM. The other ATMs, even if they display a MOST or CIRRUS are impossible! They request you to choose a network but none of the choices are applicable to anyone with a US bank card.

Silvia

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must I buy Uruguayian money for a day in Colonia?

And then there's a problem that happened to me last night. I've come from Buenos Aires after holiday there. wanted some quiet so Colonia sounded good. Stopped in "Economia", local grocery store on my way off the ferry . I bought 2 small waters and a chocolate. 66 Uruguayan pesos, about $3-4. Gave cashier, Mirasol, 100 Argentinian pesos for the $4 purchase, so I could get change in local currency. She gave me change, after we discussed it is AP, etc. Change of 32 AP, so despite my telling her she's charging me $16 US for this,she made mistake, etc., she ignored me. I tried to talk to manager. I understand enough Spanish--she told him I paid in Uruguayan pesos. I said untrue, I didn't even have UP yet....Avoid the unneeded drama and ripoffs, and and get $100 or so in UP if you think you'll spend that.

Did have a nice dinner last night at Pulperia across from my nice, quiet Posada Plaza Mayor. Check had UP, AP, USD printed on the bottom.

6. Re: Must I buy Uruguayian money for a day in Colonia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 23:20
Get answers to your questions about Colonia del Sacramento