We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Colonia to Montevideo

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Colonia to Montevideo

Hi, We are getting the fast ferry from Buenos Aires to Colonia on Sunday + planning to leave our luggage + have lunch, then spend a couple of hours having a look around. I have booked the ferry online, but I haven't booked the bus to Montevideo. Do I need to do this in advance or do we just buy the ticket at the ferry terminal when we get there?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
44,075 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Colonia to Montevideo

Buy the tIcket at the bus terminal. Last time I checked, these tickets cannot be bought online. Here's the schedule from Tres Cruces, the bus terminal in Montevideo. Choose Colonia for "Origen" and Montevideo for "Destino". pay attention to the sheduling of buses that say "Dario" in the column "Frecuencia" as some don't have service on Sunday.

If you arrive there an hour before departure, most likely you'll be able to get tickets for the next bus.

http://www.trescruces.com.uy/horarios.php

Silvia

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Colonia to Montevideo

Fabulous!! Thank you - that looks quite staight forward - it looks like we have plenty of options in the mid to late pm.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
44,075 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Colonia to Montevideo

You're welcome! I remember stopping by the bus station and asking them how easy it goes to get a ticket back if we didn't buy a day in advance. At the time, they told me just come an hour prior to your wanted departure. Maybe you want to do the same and stop by there and ask. Since you said it'll be on a Sunday, maybe they have higher demand for tickets and you need to be there earlier. I suppose it also depends on the time of the year, whether is a long weekend, etc.

Happy travels,

Silvia

Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
514 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Colonia to Montevideo

I suggest next: as soon as you arrive with the ferry, walk to the bus station, there is the place where you can store your luggage, they charge per hour and per piece. Once you´re light, you check on the two bus companies that go to Montevideo (almost evey hour) COT or Turil, and you can already then buy the ticket, in case you´ll know hoy long you want to stay in Colonia. The trip is 2 and a half hour, so you can calculate if you wish arrive at daytime or so.

Also available at the bus station: city maps and tourist information.

Good luck!

Montevideo, Uruguay
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Colonia to Montevideo

Hi, I´m Fernando Semproni (Indoor Uruguay, local inbound agency at Uruguay). You can buy the ticket when you arrive to Colonia, is really easy, but is better if you buy it when you arrive so you can be sure at what hour you can depart and you can organize better your visit to Colonia.

Best regards.

Fernando Semproni

Indoor Uruguay

Your local connection

6. Re: Bus from Colonia to Montevideo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 18:16
Get answers to your questions about Colonia del Sacramento