We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Cambodia and Vietnam April 2018 need help plan

1 post
Save Topic
Travelling to Cambodia and Vietnam April 2018 need help plan

So I fly into siem reap and out of Hanoi I want to go to Saigon and do the Mekong delta and tunnels then go too hoi an and Hanoi and do Halong bay. I’m not sure whether I should book a tour from agent who is based over there or arrange when I get there. We are there from 1st to 13th April 2 adults 2 kids. Some advice would be much appreciated.

6 replies to this topic
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
531 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Cambodia and Vietnam April 2018 need help plan

No need for an agent, you can DIY this.

I think a good flow would be:

Siem Reap

fly to HCMC

bus or transfer Homestay near Can Tho

Fly to Danang for Hoi An

Fly to Hanoi

Halong Bay

Back to Hanoi

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
9,972 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Cambodia and Vietnam April 2018 need help plan

Hi Sasha,

All of that in 12 nights?

If that's the case, then unfortunately, I think you might need to make a tough decision.

I think you have enough time for three or four destinations, not the six you currently have listed.

Scott

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Cambodia and Vietnam April 2018 need help plan

Agree with Scott - Many places just in 12 nights. Book tour on your arrival.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,667 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Cambodia and Vietnam April 2018 need help plan

Hi Sasha

Cambodia and Vietnam are both very easy to DIY - and the TA forums are a great source of research and planning info - no need for a tour or even a trave agent.

where are you coming from? April in SR is stinking hot (40+ deg C is quite common) and if you are getting off an overnight flight from somewhere relatively cool the heat will hit you all like a bat to the head. Remove day 1 from your count and work on 11 days. You need 3 full days in SR just to scratch the surface - temples in the mornings and other stuff (or better still round the pool with the kids) in the afternoon - 4 days is better. Fly to Hanoi - explore there, do a HB cruise and head home from Hanoi. There is plenty to see & do to keep you all occupied for 4-5 days and then add the cruise to your day count.

You really will thank us for suggesting that you don't charge around like you are contestants in the Great Race - mum deserves a holiday and packing up/checking out/travelling/next hotel check-in/unpack every two days is absolutely not a holiday - especially with kidlets.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Cambodia and Vietnam April 2018 need help plan

Too many places in such a short period of time. You will spend a lot of time in transit (airports & children don't go they get bored).

We went to Siem Reap this year for 4 days and that alone wasn't enough time.

i think to really appreciate the places you intend to stay you should look at doing combinations like:

Siem Reap / Hoi An / Hanoi

Siem Reap / HCMC / Hanoi

I would personally leave Siem Reap for another time and concentration on Vietnam.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Cambodia and Vietnam April 2018 need help plan

Hi Sasha,

We too are doing both Cambodia and Vietnam for 3 weeks next year and I've done a lot of reading on the TA forums and I'm comfortable that we can DIY.

This will be a our first trip to both countries and at first we had a huge list of every place we wanted to go to; by doing research we then narrowed it down. If I can honest, it seems like you are wanting to fit a lot into a small amount of time. Sit down make a list of "must see things", nice to have and not really that important and then you can start to prioritize. Also take into account your travelling time between places and any impact this will have on you and yours.

A lot of things you'll be able to do on your own (and for me that is one of the pleasures, wandering at my own pace, stopping for a drink, chatting with others). Others like Siem Reap you might want a guide to make maximum use of your time and from what I've read it's easily bookable when you are there.

Enjoy your planning!

Reply to: Travelling to Cambodia and Vietnam April 2018 need help plan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted