We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoi An Review

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hoi An Review

Just got back from an amazing week in Hoi An. Here s a brief overview in case it helps anyone......

We stayed aat the Victoria Hotel and Spa. Its a very nice hotel - we went for one of the deluxe beach front rooms. We did change rooms after the first night coz our room was about 10 m from the beach, wehre as the others were right on the beach. The hotel complex and pool is great. Watch out for the ice they put in the pool - on my first day I was happily swimming some lengths when I headbutted a giant ice cube!

We got either the shuttle bus or a taxi into hoi an centre. Its about 50,000vnd each way (or the shuttle bus is free). Food choices are plenty but our favourite by far was the Cargo Club - the best food and the prices are really cheap - you wonder how they can do it so well for the money. In our seven nights we ate here twice 9it would have been more but they closed for refurbishment). We also ate at the Brothers Cafe - however although the setting was nice, the menu was not very extensicve and was expensive compared to many of the other places we ate. Another place we ate at twice and enjoyed was Here and Now - its quite a noisy bar at first glance but they have a restaurant upstairs which is quieter.

We either ate lunch at the hotel or quiote often, wondered up the beach for some cheap and fresh sea food.

All in akll, it was a wonderful stay.

With regards to whether, despite the thunder storms and showers the internet always says, it was ery hot and sunny everyday from about 7am til 6pm. On 2 out of the 7 days we did have an afternoon shower for an hour or two but generally, it was a sunny 35 degrees.

los angeles
Level Contributor
455 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hoi An Review

thanks so much for the info. we will be at the Victoria Hoi an in a couple of weeks. Am curious, how long is the Cargo Club closed for refurbishment? so many people have raved about their desserts, i hope they are open when we are in Hoi An 30 June to 4 July.

We are also in beachfront room. Sounds from your description like you were not bothered by the hotel refurbishing the beachfront rooms on the other side of the resort.

thanks again for the posting! nice to hear about the sunshine, too - although probably less important for me coming from LA than for you!

England
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hoi An Review

I cant remember when the cargo club was closed until but i believe it is open in time for when you go. Also, the mango rooms (which is next to th cargo club and also raved about) was closed for refurb but should be open in time for your visit.

No, the refurbs did nt effect us one little bit. Even at the pool (which is closer to the refurbs) I cant remember even once hearing any noise or distraction from it. I really would nt worry about it - without seeing the boarding over the front of the villas they are working on, I would nt even have known they were doing it.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hoi An Review

Hi Trw144,

Did you do any sightseeing and shopping?

Thanks for you trip report.

Cheers,

Stewie.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
277 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hoi An Review

I found Here and Now to be superior to Cargo Club. There are heaps of great palces to eat in Hoi An so you will not be disappointed. We did a tour to My Son to see the temple ruins which were OK, but if you have seen Ayutthaya in Thailand or Angkor Wat in Cambodia do not bother.

cheers

Freddy

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hoi An Review

Mango Rooms was the best meal in all of Vietnam!!!!!!!! A little expensive but worth it!

Hobart
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hoi An Review

Hi all,

Just back after our time in Vietnam-and also stayed at the Victoria Hotel. Had 2 seaview rooms- 3 teens in one and interconnecting. We were right behind where they are re-furbing and it didn't bother us.

We booked through the Hanoi Elegance 3- they gave us a cheaper rate than we could get directly with the Hotel- $160 US per room. I did a lot of comparisons and this was the best rate for the room type I wanted.

Plenty of TV channels so my kids could keep in touch with the NBA finals. The Hotel was perfect for us- weather although it rained some days there were many hours of sunshine also! Sea 29 degrees, pool 32 and temp 35-36 every day!

Breakfast was good- we didn't eat at the hotel apart from that-some chips around the pool for lunch! we arrived late and even went into Hoi An town- make sure you head in early as restaurants are not open late- admittedly it was 10.30.Lots of roadworks happening in the town- putting all the services underground so pretty dusty but just an amazing place. Found a little general store on the corner and stocked up on nibbles,beers and cans of coke for the kids.

Hotel also has a great internet centre- free internet and about 6 computers which was great for the kids and they visited it daily when it rained mostly!

Prices are normal resort for food etc- not expensive by western resort prices but very cheap outside and in the town. Ate at the Cargo Club- a couple of times-once I had a hankering for Pho Ga ( I became addicted to it actually) and they got it from Morning Glory-their sister restuarant across the road and although we didn't eat there it has excellent Vietnamese food.Ate at Tam Tams another -had the local speciality noodle dish which was very good -tangled with a Vietnamese red chilli- I love hot but this was amazing!Gave my family a laugh as the setam and tears flowed!They also do a market tour and cooking class- as do the Red Bridge cooking school- but we just ran out of time!and and also had some time sitting watching the world go by there- happy hour lasts for several hours! Mango Room was closed for renovations unfortunately and we were warned to not go to Brothers because "it wasn't good anymore"

Heard many others saying that the restaurant along the beach was great but it is seafood and one of our kids doesn't eat seafood at all so didn't try it.

Apart from the town didn't do any tours as the kids had been "toured out" from Bangkok and Hanoi- jst relaxed- and shopped- My son and husband had suits shirts made- my daughter and I had coats made and also some skirts etc. I took a favourite dress and a couple of tops to have them copied- a really great job. We also had shoes made- but left it too late and the result was mixed as it ended up being a rushed job. Just remember that the prices are so varied for all these things- but as we were told" you get what you pay for"

We only managed to get the shuttle once as the times didn't seem to work for us- however the cab service was great- quickly there and a lot of 7 seater cars for our family of 5. Every time the meter would tick over to 51000vnd just as we turned into the Hotel- or US3.

We were also amazed at the number of Italian couples who were obviously adopting Vietnamese babies staying there whilst their passports etc were obtained- fascinating actually. Made me want to find out more!!

I would certainly recommend the Hotel- we had a lovely time and didn't want to leave- in fact I wish that we had only had a couple of nights in HCM and added some more to HoiAn!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hoi An Review

Enjoyed both reports-trw 144 and HobartJude-Just wondering which tailors you used HobartJude? We are staying at the Victoria Hotel in 2 weeks so getting excited and counting down

Hobart
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hoi An Review

Hi- we used Yaly for a suit for my son and some shirts and my coat- and my husband had a shirt made at Adong Silk. There are plenty of cheap ones and we had some stuff made at number 17 I think- just outside past where the cabs stop- it was ok copied some stuff but the quality for the suits etc was amazing comparitively at Yaly and Adong Silk, however expensive- but as we were told you really do get what you pay for- my coat- a black woolen long one was $75US and I am delighted with it-my son's shirts were about 15-20 depending on the fabric- it all is priced according to the quality of the fabric you choose.Leave plently of time and take heaps of photos or clothes you want copied as I had great success doing that- otherwise it all gets a bit overwhelming! Yaly are one of the few that have their own tailors and don't send it out to the mass markets- ie for my son's suit we not only had a sales girl allocated but there was one tailor working on it and doing the final touches.Alow a few days as fittings are needed good luck

feel free to email again jafranks@bigpond.net.au

rotterdam, Holland
Level Contributor
234 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hoi An Review

For recommendation on tailors it could be useful to take a look at this website:

http://www.hoi-an-tailors.org/

10. Re: Hoi An Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 00:18