We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoi An Tailors

Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Hoi An Tailors

Having just come from Hoi An and after visits to numerous tailor shops, my view is that don't bother. Those so called 'tailors' don't have a clue. If you end up having a 'suit' made for $120, you will be laughed at in your office in Sydney, London or Singapore. The quality of the materials, workmanship and measuring skills are so poor that you will look like a complete goose wearing those outfits. If you must part with your hard earned USD's, may I suggest you could do worse than just drop $120 in the donation box at the Hoi An orphanage. Save yourself the embarrasment and please resist the urge to have anything made.

The fabrics are all fakes as well. Do you actually believe "Louis Vuitton", "Pierre Cardin" and "Versace" actually sell bolts of fine merino Super 150 cashemere/wool cloth to those untrained tailors in Hoi An, only for the tailor to then sell you a suit for $120?? If it was genuine Italian / English cloth, the material alone needed for a suit would cost $400.

Does any actually understand the skill and effort needed to tailor a men's suit jacket? It takes years of training to learn to properly measure up, cut the cloth, make the pattern, understand the layering of the padding, stich up and finely adjust. The Hoi An tailors complete this process in a nearby sweatshop in 6 hours. Just ridiculous.

Not everyone needs to spend $6,000 on a Saville Row masterpiece. If you need a decent suit which you can wear to work, then go to Hong Kong where a number of well trained Cantonese tailors can make you a suit for $600. They will also have proper chest and shoulder padding and will give you at least 2 fittings.

I had a "suit" made by Impressions Boutique in Hoi An. It was so poor (my 12 year old daughter could have made a better suit), I demanded a refund and got one. It was unwearable.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,818 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hoi An Tailors

Chef66.....

If you had done better research, and gone back further in this forum, you would have known to steer well clear of Impressions Boutique- last year and the year before that, there were so many negative reports about Impressions that a separate log was set up, warning potential customers away from them.

Do a search of their name and you will clearly be able to see. So, you're probably the goose here.;-(

I would also like to say, most of us are not idiots- of course we realize that it is not genuine LV or Gucci or anything else, but, to say they are so poor you will look like a goose wearing one of these suits to your office is utter rubbish.

I had a suit made for my son in Yaly and whilst it may not be the most amazing suit ever- for the money I paid it is brilliant and he is a 'cool' 27 year old, and I'd say he looks anything but a goose in it- and in the last year, he's worn it many times to work without being laughed at.

I also had suits made up for him in Hong Kong and China this year, and yes, they are much better, a lot better, but, so what!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,818 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hoi An Tailors

here are just a few of the posts from 2007 about Impressions: this first post is the guy that set up the blog warning about Impressions:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

posted on: 11:05 pm, December 05, 2007 Save

My name is John from San Francisco, California, USA. This page is dedicated to my effort to save otherwise trusting tourists such as myself from being taken advantage of by all of the Impressions Boutique outlets in Hoi An, Vietnam.

I ordered a multitude of shirts, pants and a jacket from Kim Xuan, owner of the chain of Impressions Boutique outlets, and paid to have them shipped to San Francisco. Upon arriving at my home, the shipment was missing several items I had ordered, and included one suit that was clearly someone else's order. Several of the remaining items shrank so much after the first washing (cold water wash, low drying) that I had to give several of the articles away (see pics of the worst). She did nothing about the unsent articles or the shrunken clothing after multiple requests. She didn't even respond.

And as if that wasn't enough, Kim directed me to her cousin's shoe shop down the street, Happy Soles. I paid for 6 pairs of shoes and shipping. Nothing was shipped. And again, no response from Ms. Kim Xuan or her cousin.

I was flatly ripped off by both of them. And this website is part of her payback. Thanks for supplying the picture, Kim!! It's always good practice to personalize your business.

(EDIT - She responded on 12/1/07 by email. Here is the content):

"It is FUNNY to do as you are doing!

Remember: Whatever you do, my business is still growing up quickly!

Kim Xuan ( Owner/ Director of Impressions boutique Co., Ltd."

Beware IMPRESSIONS BOUTIQUE - is a horrrible tailor

TrishVancouver

Vancouver, Canada

Forum posts: 2

Travel map pins: 0 Travel maps show where members have been and are going. Start your own!

More about TrishVancouver...

?

Posted on: 5:19 am, May 29, 2007 Save

DO NOT GO to Impressions Boutique (beware as there is 4 of them)....

Ms. Kim ownes it and although she can be very kind and charming giving you food and water to help you order she is a cheat and liar.

Unfortunatley for me it was to late and I'd already watched her fight (screaming matches) with customers who's clothes didn't fit or weren't made at all. She requested a 50% deposit on ordering and didn't want to give it back when she couldnt' produce the clothing. It was horrible!! I was there for 6 days and unfortunatley I was the 6th problem and I later found out her prices are 2 to 3X all the other tailors. I wish I had found this out before hand because stress is not what I signed up for on my happy vacation. Also, do NOT use who the hotels recommend because they get a commission and those tailor shops solicite the hotels to do this because they can't get business otherwise.

In addition I had the misfortune of seeing Ms. Kim's 'sweat shop' and i was horrified...she should be ashamed of herself for subjecitng her workers to crap conditions...they drink brown dirty water with bugs floating in it!!! Gee...at the shop she must have offered me at least 3 bottles of Aquifina! For the prices she charges, you'ld at least think she could supply them with clean water .

Anyways, I recommend finding a small mom & pop shop or else one of the tailors that is on the street running parallel to the river

Report inappropriate post

bonketoo

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Forum posts: 953

Travel map pins: 97 Travel maps show where members have been and are going. Start your own!

tripadvisor.com/…6820404

More about bonketoo...

Posted on: 9:09 am, May 29, 2007 Save

Hi Trish,

It's unfortunate you didn;t get to read these forums before you went to Impressions. Their poor work has been well documented here by many posters. When I was in Hoi An this month my wife was about to wander into Impressions but I steered her clear, remembering what I'd read on TA. <<<<<<<<<<<<<

these are just a couple of the many many informative posts about Impressions.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
580 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hoi An Tailors

I had a very bad experience in Yaly- and for the price could have had a good off the peg dress in the UK. I eventually after 5 fittings (where I suspect nothing much was done) refused to take the dress. I was very keen to go to Hoi An as I had great clothes made in Thailand. I think Yaly is probably generally OK but when they are busy their standards drop. The fight not to take the dress was very unpleasant. Like the first poster I really wish I hadn't bothered.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,818 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hoi An Tailors

have to say, my daughter had 2 x 3 piece suits copied from an original Country Road suit, and they were good- not as good as the original, but, for the money, she's had great wear out of them, but, one dress which she just described to them, was a disaster and she paid (it was only about US$20 so it was easier just to take it) but she's never worn it. My son's suit was fine and even though i gave them the wrong measurements, they kept altering it until I felt it looked ok, and it was very good for the money and fit him perfectly.

admittedly, I think it can be a bit 'hit and miss' but on the whole, it was a good experience for us

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
580 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hoi An Tailors

The dress I did not take was made in a cheap satin fabric and was $70 so worth the fight but only just

Sydney
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hoi An Tailors

You definitely went to the wrong Tailor because I got some gorgeous suits for $55 AUD each. They look almost as good as my $400 Cue suits.

My workmate also got suits made in VN and they fit her perfectly as well (she paid about $120 for each suit though).

Hubby also got work pants made for $16 each. These have been washed multiple times and you really cannot tell the difference between the pants and his $100 pants from Australia (except that the quality of fabric in VN is actually better).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,818 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hoi An Tailors

that's great fuzzi- it'd be great if you named them so other's can use them too.

Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hoi An Tailors

I have to disagree - I had a wonderful experience with Yaly (you get what you pay for!!) I had 3, three piece suits and 2 evening dresses made, to a wonderful standard. My husband had a suit, 2 pairs of trousers and 5 business shirts made. It pays to have as many fittings as you can - the more you have, the better your clothing and fit will be.

I also had a pair or shorts, and a sundress made ($10 a piece) at the tailors right next door to the Long Life Hotel. I met several people there who had suits made there, and raved about them.

Too bad - you obviously chose the wrong place and ended up with a "dodgy" tailor.

We will defintely be heading back to Yaly for more fantastic and well made quality clothing.

Sydney
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hoi An Tailors

I went to Bao Bao (opposite Cargo Club & Mango Room).

Not sure where my workmate went though.

I also got a dress copied at some random store I walked into and it was an EXACT replica of the original dress.

I have a feeling that the Hoi An Tailors do well with suits and straight copying. I would not “design” clothes and try to get them to execute it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
293 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hoi An Tailors

Hi everyone, we have just returned from 2 wonderful weeks in Vietnam including 6 days in Hoi An. We had many articles made for us at A Dong Silk; some I've worn already ( they are great) We had a suit made for our 18 yr old son which sadly he wore yesterday to a funeral a day after we arrived back home....he looked lovely and the suit fits perfectly! The point I would like to make is, do your research!..this is our 4th trip and we know what works with tailors and what doesn't. ( A Dong's tailor does jackets very well) but more importantly,

we recommend to "share the love around "and visit both the orphanage( run by the Kianh foundation) and support the local people in the shops. We look forward to our next back to Hoi An..I wouldnt miss the tailoring experience for the world!

Get answers to your questions about Hoi An