We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Scam Da Nang Airport to Hoi An

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
58 reviews
Taxi Scam Da Nang Airport to Hoi An

Just been caught in a Taxi Scam tonight from the Da Nang Airport to Hoi An. It was 17:00pm and not that many taxis around maybe 20 and none would use meter. They wanted 300,000 dong. We eventually got one to agree on 260,000 dong. He seemed friendly enough, talking about sights as we were driving along. It started to get dark. He started to get a number of telephone calls on his mobile phone. He pulled over after about 20 minutes into the journey, saying he wasn't sure where the hotel was, and was going to ask for assistance. When he pulled over another man jumped in the taxi and said he would come with us to show him where hotel was. I said firmly "get out of the Taxi or I'll call the police" and pulled out my phone to do so. I said if you don't know where the hotel is I'll phone them, which I did, telling them I was caught in a Taxi Scam, the hotel receptionist spoke to him ( I held the phone to his ear, in case he threw it out the window).The other man jumped out of the taxi and off we drove. Then I heard the sound of the doors locking and his mobile phone started ringing. I said very firmly "don't you dare answer that phone" it rang again,so I screamed "don't you answer that phone and open the doors, as they are locked and open the windows", he reluctantly opened the doors, explaining that they were automatic locking doors. He turned right off the main road to our hotel, to a very dark road. I said very firmly "get us to our hotel quick or I will call my hotel to call the police". Whilst this was happening he had the meter running, which I thought strange as we agreed on a price, We luckily got to the hotel and the meter read 400,000 dong. The hotel had two porters go to the cab when it pulled in and I gave him his 260,000 dong. He called me a crazy women. I have read about this happening before to others and recommend that your hotel organises airport pick ups. We were lucky nothing bad happened.

germany
Level Contributor
35 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Taxi Scam Da Nang Airport to Hoi An

Sorry to hear about your experience. We had booked a taxi through our hotel to pick us up tonight too but there was a problem and the taxi never arrived. Fortunately we met a lovely lady who works at the taxi desk inside the baggage terminal (dont leave the terminal as you wont be allowed back in) the desk is on the right as you walk towards the door a blue and white sign over head. She set a fixed price of 15dollars or 290K Dong to Hoi An. We would highly recommend her and the service that her company operate.

Germany Murphy and daughter!

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,579 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Taxi Scam Da Nang Airport to Hoi An

In my opinion, the taxi drivers are the worst thing about Vietnam. How can a tourist have a good experience when the first thing they encounter is a scamming, abusive taxi driver? Here is a link to where ComeAndGo and I discuss Taxi Scams

owee58.com/2010/…

Owee

www.owee58.com

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,432 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Taxi Scam Da Nang Airport to Hoi An

Owee, I'm currently trying to make this a priority issue for the Vietnam Business Forum Tourism Working Group as like you say it's probably the second biggest topic on these boards after visas, and we're addressing that already. Not sure when the next meeting with the big cheeses in Hanoi is but will try & get it on the agenda.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,674 posts
45 reviews
4. Re: Taxi Scam Da Nang Airport to Hoi An

Comeandgo... very good of you to work on this problem. We had a minor issue with a taxi driver in Hanoi who's meter was running at 3x the speed it should have. Fortunately it was a short distance and I refused to pay him the meter price but still ended up paying more than 2x what we paid to get to our destination. My mistake for not using a reputable/recommended taxi on the return trip.

On a positive note we are thoroughly enjoying our time in VN!

Hanoi, Halong and Hue, all fantastic. Hue was pretty wet yesterday.

Just arrived in Hoi an today and flooding is a problem with getting around. Hope it's not worse tomorrow.

Susan

sydney
Level Contributor
142 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Taxi Scam Da Nang Airport to Hoi An

Hi Germany Murphy,

Can you tell me exactly where this Taxi Counter is located inside Danang Arrivals Hall and is the Taxi service operated by the lady's Company. I presume you pay her the Usd15 first in exchange for a Voucher of some sort before telling you where to wait for the Taxi pickup outside the terminal.

I was going to book a hotel pickup from Danang Airport but my hotel quoted me Usd28 for 4 people One Way to HoiAn which I thought was a bit much, but now I'm thinking maybe I should do it because of the horror story posted.

Many thanks for the additional information.

Regards,

Rabaul63

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,023 posts
70 reviews
6. Re: Taxi Scam Da Nang Airport to Hoi An

By Sydney standards USD 28 for a trip of 30-45 minutes is pretty good :-) and a small price to pay for ease of mind IMO

Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
127 reviews
7. Re: Taxi Scam Da Nang Airport to Hoi An

We used the taxi counter for our trip from Danang airport to Hoi An in April. You really can't miss it - there's only one exit from arrivals and her stand is on the right hand side just before the doors. As I remember, you tell her where you want to go and she writes it down in English and Vietnamese including the price in dollars or dong. You're then directed to the taxi rank outside and you take one that is "Airport Taxis" and pay the driver the agreed price of $15 or the dong equivalent on arrival at your hotel. Extremely simple and safe.

sydney
Level Contributor
142 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: Taxi Scam Da Nang Airport to Hoi An

Thanks Mizz Traveller,

Yr info is much appreciated and will use her Airport Taxi Service before exiting through the main airport doors.

Rabaul63

brisvegas
Level Contributor
67 posts
34 reviews
9. Re: Taxi Scam Da Nang Airport to Hoi An

we are booking for next april and our travel agent has quoted us $48 Au each way for the two of us.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,868 posts
173 reviews
10. Re: Taxi Scam Da Nang Airport to Hoi An

surely you mean $48 for a return journey? even that is slightly high for private car pick-up.

by the way, the Danang terminal is small and as soon as you walk out you will see a taxi counter

I stopped taking taxis from danang airport a couple of year's ago, it's quite stressful unless you buy the pre-booked ticket, then it would be ok- but, it's not much fun going out and trying to find a taxi who will stick to his word when you reach your hotel (from my experience)