We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

red bridge classes - why are there negative reviews of late

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
red bridge classes - why are there negative reviews of late

I was recommended to do a cooking class with red bridge just two days ago by someone who did it in the last two weeke. But on trip advisor website the last three posts have been terrible. All have been in April, but so was my sources info/experience that he loved! Previous to the last three posts everyone has raved about it. Can anyone explain this?

Thanx

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,576 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: red bridge classes - why are there negative reviews of late

Check reviewers other contributions to get an idea if the reviews are legit. Sometimes reviews are less than honest or even fake in order to satisfy someones agenda. A person can usually figure out what is real and what is not.

Some of us have suffered similar situations.

Owee

www.owee58.com

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
82 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: red bridge classes - why are there negative reviews of late

We did the half day cooking class in February and loved it. I didn't post a review, but maybe I should have done.

I can't imagine things have taken a turn for the worst since February. It was very professionally run and good fun.

-
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: red bridge classes - why are there negative reviews of late

Why are you so concerned about what 2 or 3 people post on TripAdvisor?

There will always be people who love something and there will be those who hate it. Make a decision for yourself and don’t be dictated to or led by a small handful of negative reviews.

Stockport Uk
Level Contributor
99 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: red bridge classes - why are there negative reviews of late

We did the Red Bridge full day course in march this year and it was one of the highlights of our holiday.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: red bridge classes - why are there negative reviews of late

I posted a negative review of Red Bridge back in May 2010 and several other posters have reported similar experiences since then.

The main issue I complained about was that there were too many students and we were rushed throughout the day. We only spent about 45 minutes of our 4 hour tour actually cooking.

I thought the market tour was a complete waste of time. Our "guide" led us in silence to the markets and then walked through pointing out vegetables and meat. She refused to answer any questions even basic ones like what the names were in Vietnamese.

We then stood in the sun waiting for our boat for ages. The boat ride itself was quite enjoyable. Once at Red Bridge we were again led through the garden and the guide said "This is mint." and "This is basil." Questions about the Vietnamese names were ignored as were questions about how long they took to grow, how often they were watered etc. Other guides seemed to interact with their groups and some even answered questions so you may be luckier than us.

We were last back to the cooking area and had to sit at the back. Although there is a mirror over the teacher's bench he was leaning over the entire time so we couldn't see anything. Several students got up and stood closer to see but were told to return to their seats. The teacher was quite sarcastic and rude at times.

Then we cooked our food. This part (ie the actual COOKING class that we thought we had paid for) was extremely rushed. If you were silly enough to ask a question one of the helpers just came and took over. If you were too slow you were pushed out of the way and they cooked for you. That was very annoying. The standard of cooking required is very basic and my teenage kids coped easily.

Next we moved to the eating area to have our meal. The food was quite nice but those who ate too slowly had their food taken away!! Then we were told that we had to leave.

Our tour started at 11am in the Hai Scout Cafe for a drink which took 30 minutes. Standing around in the sun, the market visit and the boat ride took 90 minutes so we arrived at the cooking school at 1pm. We then had our garden tour, did our cooking class and ate the food over the next 90 minutes.

It was 2.30 when we were told we had to leave. Several people complained and asked for refunds but were told that the boat was leaving and if they stayed they would need to pay for their own taxi. However by this stage any uneaten food had been taken away. There is a nice pool but the one at our hotel was better so we left to enjoy the boat ride back to town which I though was the best part of the day.

Despite all these complaints we still had an enjoyable few hours. However I think it could have been so much better.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,778 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: red bridge classes - why are there negative reviews of late

geez Harley- that doesn't even sound like the same place we did our cooking class/tour- we did the morning class and it was filled with fun and laughter- not a serious cookery class as i've written so many times before on Ta, but, so much fun- we loved the walk through the markets even though we'd been through ourselves, it was quite different with a guide-

when i originally read your review (when you came back) i seriously thought perhaps management had changed hands or that they'd just become too popular for themselves ;)

they need to take care because certainly now there are choices, many many other restaurants and accommodations are offering cooking classes

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
49 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: red bridge classes - why are there negative reviews of late

I did the full day last week and enjoyed it. I agree that the actual cooking part is a bit rushed but I still thought the day was worthwhile.

8. Re: red bridge classes - why are there negative reviews of late

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 06:16