We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoi An trip length?

Seattle, USA
Level Contributor
128 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Hoi An trip length?

I'm a 65 y.o. dentist traveling solo and would like a perspective on how many nights one should spend in Hoi An. I'm spending 3 nights in HCMC prior to arrival from DaNang. Like photography, history, interesting markets and architecture. Have a little flexibility. I'l keep reading the forum as well. thanks

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hoi An trip length?

Hoi an is a town all about retail textiles and gifts to take home, unless you want a resort experience, a single overnight will suffice.

I think Hue will offer you more photo oppotunities.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Hue
Hue
Thua Thien - Hue Province, Vietnam
North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
82 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hoi An trip length?

We were there in February staying for five nights, giving us four full days there. We found there was plenty to do and would have liked to stay longer.

I believe I read on this forum (unfortunately after we had returned home) about someone who had been on an organised photography tour from Hoi An. I think it was maybe for three or four hours, but the writer said what an experience it was and it sounded like something we would have done had we known about it. Maybe a search on this forum will bring it up.

The market in Hoi An is a fascinating insight into Vietnam life. Fruit, vegetables, fish, meat, live chickens all to be seen at the market by the river. We saw produce arriving by boat to be sold.

Also sit at one of the cafes and have a drink watching the locals taking motor scooters and pedal bikes onto the small ferries.

I can recommend Heaven and Earth bicycle tours. You do not need to be a regular cyclist to enjoy this. It is very easy, flat cycling with frequent stops. Have a look at their reviews on here to get an idea of what the day consists of.

You could take a trip to My Son, easily arranged once you arrive.

Hoi An itself is a UNESCO World Heritage site and has many old buildings. The town itself is quite compact and easily walkable and we never got bored of walking round soaking up the atmosphere

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hoi An trip length?

I think 2 full days for Hoi An itself then another day for My son.

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Hoi An
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hoi An trip length?

Hoi An is also a best place to photo tour in early morning, you can get up early and go to countryside to take photos, the rice field, life activities in the river and manything.. you can enjoy to stay 3 days to 1 week in hoi an.

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
adelaide
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hoi An trip length?

The photo tour we did and thoroughly enjoyed was with Hoi An photo tours

Website is

http://www.hoianphototour.com/

The bicycle tour mentioned is on my list to do next time we visit.

We had 4 nights and could have stayed longer. Plenty to do. It's a place that covers all bases. Beach/relax, shopping, tours, good food, cooking classes etc.

Having said that Hue was a rushed visit for us and we would like to go back there to. Ming Mang tomb was brilliant.

Perhaps share time between the 2. The drive via Hai Van pass was great too.

Edited: 14 May 2011, 01:25
Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Hue
Hue
Thua Thien - Hue Province, Vietnam
Hai Van Pass
Hai Van Pass
476 Reviews
Phu Tho, Vietnam
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hoi An trip length?

1 or 2 day only

hoi an
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hoi An trip length?

Hoi An is very beautiful city with lots of things to do.

You should spend at least 02 full day for the city itself and another day or two to see the surrounding area : Myson Holyland, Cham Islands ....

Tourist Information Center

505 Cua Dai, Hoian

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Cua Dai Beach
Cua Dai Beach
2,176 Reviews
Hoi An, Vietnam
Hanoi
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hoi An trip length?

2 days 1 night in Hoian is enough for you for going sightseeing and shopping

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Canada
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hoi An trip length?

to a large degree, the length of time in hoi an depends on your itinerary, and travel style. one can "do" hoi an in a day, others find a week is not enough.

if your itinerary allows it, schedule more time there. if you want to visit at leisure, perhaps some time on a nice beach... definitely stay longer.

we spent 4 nights there, and just loved it. we spent 2 days in hue, and found it too long.

that's just mho.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hoi An trip length?

which beach would you recommened? I will be there for 5 days as I need to 'flop' for a bit!

Mark