We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February 2012 Hoi An Lantern Festival

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
340 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
February 2012 Hoi An Lantern Festival

I plan on being in Central Vietnam in February of 2012. Does anyone know when the Lantern Festival is held in February of 2012? Based on my research I am thinking it is either the 6th or the 12th.

Appreciate any clarification!

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
442 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: February 2012 Hoi An Lantern Festival

Fullmoon festival will be on 5th Feb 2012

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: February 2012 Hoi An Lantern Festival

Please can you tell me the March and April dates of the Fullmoon festival?

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: February 2012 Hoi An Lantern Festival

Please have a look in here for the date.":

hoian-tourism.com/…

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
442 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: February 2012 Hoi An Lantern Festival

The Festival will be on

- 06th Mar 2012

- 04th Apr 2012

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: February 2012 Hoi An Lantern Festival

Thanks a lot, we are returning in 2012 after amazing time this year.We will be there for the April Festival.

QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: February 2012 Hoi An Lantern Festival

From the Hoi An Tourism link it says 13,14/8/2011 (we are there on 13th, but leave on 14th)

It shows 2 dates for all full moon festival periods

So does that actually mean it runs on both nights?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: February 2012 Hoi An Lantern Festival

Hi there,

I am traveling to Hoi An in January 2012. I am having great difficulty confirming the date of the full moon lantern festival. Can anyone help? Where can I find out for sure? I read 7th Jan somewhere, but the full moon is 9th Jan, I think. I understand the festival is on the 14th day of the lunar month, but I'm afraid that I don't know how to find out beyond that, which western calendar date that is!

Thank you.

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
819 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: February 2012 Hoi An Lantern Festival

"From the Hoi An Tourism link it says 13,14/8/2011 (we are there on 13th, but leave on 14th)

It shows 2 dates for all full moon festival periods

So does that actually mean it runs on both nights?"

The festival is on the 13th August 2011. So you will get to see it. Start early, around 6pm and remember you don't need to buy a ticket as all the attractions are free on full moon. It's beautiful, although very crowded, so be careful, if you want to escape the crowds go over the other side of the Japanese Bridge, you can get some great photo's.

You don't need one, but I got a tour guide to come round with me as I was writing about it and wanted a bit more information on the history and traditions. It was great, he knew all the best vantage spots and was able to tell me why they do singing bingo and took me into one of the old houses where the men were doing poetry readings. It was only for an hour, so I was still able to go off and have a look around on my own, but I wouldn't have had a clue about any of it if he had not explained it to me.

Sadly, I don't think that they do this tour (heaven knows why), but if you ask at a tour desk, or your hotel they might be able to arrange it for you and it shouldn't cost very much.

QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: February 2012 Hoi An Lantern Festival

Thanks Kirby

Sounds like the verandah at Longlife Riverside will be as good a spot as any

10. Re: February 2012 Hoi An Lantern Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 00:17