We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

I have visited Hoi An numerous times in recent years and love the relaxed and charming atmosphere of Hoi An town and beautiful beach at Cua Dai, BUT,BUT,BUT the one that really infuriates me is the rip-off attitude by staff on the public bus from Danang to Hoi An. I have travelled from DaNang bus station to Hoi An approx. 6 times. The bus is primarily used by locals but is also used by back papers and solo travellers as a cheaper alternative. The locals pay 15,000 Vn dong and tourists/foreigners are charged 50,000 dong and with no tickets ever issued, it is a lucrative incentive to rip off as much as they can extract.

Yesterday, (23 Aug, 2011) caught the bus from the DaNang depot and despite my challenging the rip-off, they bstuck to their guns.

A short distance into the trip, a young Japanese tourist was also charged 50,000 and when he produced his 2011/12 Japanese travel guide, was told the book was "Old book" 10 minutes later a youing British traveller gets on and is told the fare is 50,000 dong and he challenges the "rip off" for the next 15 minutes but the 4 staff on bus all tell him that sis the price for everyone and reused to budge on the price. Result 3 foreight tourists all left with a bitter taste in their mouth and poor memory of local hospitality.

Make no mistake, this is not a cse of poor local people "sharing the riches of affluent foreign tourists, but straight out greed and lying on a public transport service

This is not a case of penny-pinching and one need only look at the nearby notorious tuk tuk rip offs to see the tourism pr disaster that creates.

If travelling in a group of 2 or more then negotiating a taxi fare to Hoi An is better alternative, and,if travelling from Hoi An to Danang, a taxi a can be enaged for 200,000.

Hopefully if enough people challenge the on bus practice and complain to tourism uthorites this annoying rip-off will end.

148 replies to this topic
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,735 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

Well for starter, no receipt, no money.

The girl collecting money always give a small receipt with the correct fee.

If or when they will make fake 1mil dong receipts we will change strategy ^^__^^

Remember also to check the ticket for long trip buses, date and price must be readable or at departure they will put you in the luggage closet....

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,353 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

Nhanhoian the bus price is 18000 dong not 30000 dong being charged by your recommended bus operator. Just another example of ripping off.

Ross

Da Nang, Vietnam
1 post
Save Reply
53. Re: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

I have traveled Vietnam extensively and I must say that even though Hoi An looks inviting, it has been the worst place I have visited in Vietnam. The hawkers here are constantly in your face trying to interest you in buying trinkets that are priced ten times higher than anyplace else. And then there are the cyclo drivers that will try to charge you ten dollars for a one hour tour of the town, the price should be no more than 2 dollars. Also avoid the public restroom which will make you vomit and they will charge you 2000 dong for privilege. The pictures are pretty but the reality is Hoi An is not a place I would recomend to anyone.

Macon
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
54. Re: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

Just tried the bus in both directions to shop at Big C. No problem in one direction. Paid the 18,000, he took it. I asked for a receipt, he said there weren't any. Coming from Danang, with my groceries, I ran into "the team." These guys work together to extort as much as possible. Start at 150,000 and work down. I just said, "Do you want the money or do I get off here?" I have the luxury of knowing there will be a bus coming in about 30 minutes that will usually have honest workers. They took the money, I'm now back in Hoi An. Is this a pleasant experience? Absolutely not!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

To shop at Big C, there is free of charge green special bus hired by Big C. But you will need to spend at least 200000 dong for shopping

Queenstown
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

I refused today. It got ugly initially, but I left the guy completely shaken, and with 20,000 dong.

I arrived at the bus station after unnesessarily paying 50,000 for a bike ride there from the train station, even though I showed the guy "le Duan st".

I knew that the real price should be around something like 15,000, so I asked the driver before I got on the bus. He said 51,000. I laughed. I told him it was 15,000. All of the bus drivers gathered around me and told me it was 50,000, because of my luggage. (I had a big case and two backpacks.) I told them that was rubbish, but could see I wasn't going to win, so told them I'd go and buy my ticket from the office and also took the reg number of the bus, as the driver tried to stand infront of it.

When I got to the ticket office the girl told me that they don't issue tickets, and I have to pay the driver. I told her that was a joke.

Then I used the internet there and found this discussion. I decided to hop on the bus before asking the price, and then just point blank refuse to pay more than 20,000, and refuse to get off the bus.

When I went out the bus was pulling out and the guy did his best to signal my attention and get me and my big case onto the bus. As soon as I was on he said it was 50,000. I told him that's not right. It's 18,000. He said, no it's 50,000. I told him he can have 20,000. He told me to get off at the next stop. I said that wasn't going to happen.

When we got to the next stop he told me to get off. I refused. He tried to grab my case but I stood in his way. It started escalating with the two of us shouting at each other and the whole bus looking at us. He told me he'd call the police. I told him to call them. He realised his mistake and I just kept telling him to call the police. We were really eyeballing each other and his eyes were a bit wattery now. I was bigger than him, but I'm thin. He feigned to hit me and I laughed. I told him to hit me and we'd see what happenned with the police.

The driver realised this was not worth pursuing and pulled the bus off.

After that he went down to 30,000, but I told him 20 is all he was getting.

After that I just relaxed. I sat down and streched my legs out. The guy was really shaken and continued to jabber, but I just kept waving him away and telling him to call the police.

Then another a pleasant vietnamese guy got on and sat beside me. He asked to pay the guy and I asked him if I could look at his change. He obliged and I saw that he'd paid 18, 000. The conductor said it was because of my luggage. I told him that was rubbish.

He kept coming back to me and asking for 30,000, at which point I would open my hand with the 20,000, and he would get exacerbated, and laugh a little. I started to find the whole thing quite amusing too, along with the vietnamese guy next to me.

I think that ultimately, these guys are afraid of the law. So unless they physically manage to throw you off the bus, I don't know if there's much they can do.

Eventually, an old couple got on and I gave them my seat. The next time he accepted the 20,000.

For me, it is not about the money. I actually do believe that as tourists from a richer country we aught to pay more, but in a controlled and regulated manner. I don't like rewarding people like this.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,353 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

Good story sonofabear, but it is customary in VN to pay extra for luggage in taxis and on the public busses.

Cheers Ross

Queenstown
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

That's rubbish!

Just kidding. That's something I didn't realise. I will bear that in mind in future.

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

Great story Sonofobear, thanks. My wife and I are travelling from DNG to Hoi An tomorrow so to be forewarned is to be forearmed. I will report back afterwards.

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

We rented a motor bike instead in the end because we were told the last bus was at 6pm. The motor bike was a bit old but was fine and only cost $7.

Reply to: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted