We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February Weather

New Zealand
Level Contributor
385 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
February Weather

Hi

My husband and I are coming to Hoi An for 10 days from the 15th Feb 2012. We plan to stay at the beach and was hoping for lots of nice beach days and swimming in the ocean. Before we booked I read that it is the dry season and to expect warm sunny weather. But now I keep reading that the weather is very changeable and is quite likely to be very cool and could be windy and not great for swimming as there are strong currents at this time of year. I am confused about the cold bit as I thought it didn't get below low 20's and coming from New Zealand I don't think this is particulary cold. But I also have read that we would need a light wind jacket. This isn't really the weather we were expecting and am a bit concerned as we are spending a while here. We are celebrating our 30th Wedding Anniversary and were looking for a beach break as well as sight seeing. Love some help about what to expect. Cheers Kiwi

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: February Weather

Hi Kiwi,

Put yourself at ease, the weather is just fine in February. Of course we have been seeing some odd climate change occurrences over the last month but for the most part you will get your beach vacation.

The one place that might be a little cooler is the North. We would suggest you do bring some warmer clothes if you are planning a trek in Sapa. By warmer clothes, we are talking about one sweater, and a waterproof wind breaker type jacket. Now, it is usually glorious in Sapa, unless it decides to rain for a few days, when the temperature will begin to drop.

We have many guests that come from Canada who share similar weather as you in New Zealand. They rave about our 'winter' weather here. And, actually, the weather in the summer months is sometimes said to be too hot.

Enjoying planning your trip. Congratulations on your anniversary!

Safe and happy travels,

Footprintters

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
New Zealand
Level Contributor
385 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: February Weather

Thanks footprintters. You have put my mind at rest. I was starting to think we should change our flights and go somewhere else. What is Hue like in Feb? I am thinking of spending a little less time in Hoi An and spending a few days in Hue but have read its very wet in February. Cheers Kiwi

hoian
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: February Weather

Hi Kiwi!

we are fom hoian - we know hoian very clearly - you do not worry anything when you come hoian on february - that time is our spring season, usualy very warm weather

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: February Weather

Hoi an usually has decent weather in Feb but sometimes can it get a bit chilly (24 with winds) The seas can still be a bit rough but good for surfing and other water sports. 10 days is a very long time to be in a small town... If the weather is not Ideal, perhaps do some day trips to Danang or even an overnight in Hue. Here is a link to weather charts.

owee58.com/2011/…

Owee

www.owee58.com

New Zealand
Level Contributor
385 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: February Weather

Thanks everyone for such quick replies and putting my mind at rest. I know 10 days seems a long time for some people in a small town. For us, it will be perfect. We normally move around a lot when we travel but this time as we are celebrating a special occasion we just want to chill out on a beach and chose Hoi An over an Island holiday as it offers a good balance of beach time, culture and the lovely Ancient Old Town. Next holiday will probably be very different! We are now considering a few days in Hue though as we are so close. Cheers Kiwi

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,271 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: February Weather

spent 6 days in Hoi An late Feb. 2011. Wore shorts and sun tops day and night , had lovely days on the beach.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
385 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: February Weather

Thanks Gem166. Great to hear. Can't wait!

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,271 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: February Weather

Kiwi,

Hue is well worth the visit for a few days, you may be able to visit the Citadel and the outlying tombs in a day, but it would be bit of a rush.

The drive from Hoi An to Hue is interesting also but make sure you go over the Hai Van pass and not through the tunnel.

However, a warning about the weather. We had spent 3 1/2 weeks travelling from HCM to Hoi AN in flimsy summer clothes and set off from Hoi An with similar clothes. As we climbed the Pass it became damp and misty and when we arrived in Hue, all the locals were in their winter clothes. It drizzled a bit and we needed long trousers and long sleeved tops but I didn't find it cold as such ,infact it was humid on one of the days. So if you make the trip to Hue do take clothing layers .

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: February Weather

We stayed for 10 days in Hoi An and absolutely loved it.It was too hot in April so Im sure Feb will be great.We liked the area so much we are returning in March 2012.The beach was fabulous and we didnt feel as if we were there too long, we are going to Hue for 3 nights this time as well as Hoi An.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
385 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: February Weather

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my post. I appreciate all the helpful advice. We are really looking forward to our stay now we know the weather is likely to be lovely. Cheers Kiwi