We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

‘Just Back Report’-7 (delayed post) Hoi An Jan 2nd 2012

Kings Creek...
Level Contributor
214 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
‘Just Back Report’-7 (delayed post) Hoi An Jan 2nd 2012

Early mornings were not a problem due to the time difference.

Today we met at the Morning Glory Restaurant at 0800 for our cooking class. Drizzling rain again.

Firstly we toured the markets. Here our group consisted of 10. Everything in the markets was so fresh and there were no offensive odours even walking through the fish section was pleasant! We purchased several of those very nifty cutters and then we were each given one at the end of the cooking class….I am not sorry though because the one we bought was bigger which is handy and our son who could not make the trip with us is an apprentice chef so he was impressed.

We returned to the restaurant to do the cooking class our group here consisted of aprox 20 but the way the class is set up – this is not a problem. They have a large mirror above the instructor and you could see everything very clearly. The set up for cooking is excellent - each person has their own gas ring burner etc & I love the way they have sheets of banana leaves and between each dish you simply throw the top one away and you have a clean prep area ready to continue – very clever. There were other staff walking around the group and assisting as necessary. When the instructor finishes each demonstration she wanders around all participants offering extra assistance as well.

I so wish when I cooked at home everything was measured, cut and set up for you – SO nice…not to mention no cleaning up.

I love doing a cooking class when travelling as I find you learn so much about the culture itself.

The food was absolutely divine - beautiful choices. We were given the recipes post cooking class and have already successfully tried them out at home – memories. Our Cooking instructor -Miss Lu was fantastic. The teens really enjoyed the class. One of our group was vegetarian and this was not an issue at all - there were substitutes for all dishes.

Afterwards us girls returned to our tailor to collect clothing. Mother no 2 is very close to Vietnamese sizing whereas I am more…an Aussie – they do seem to have a little difficulty with bigger breasts it would seem. I had to have several adjustments in this department and would really have preferred the buttons a little closer which my tailor assures me “next time MaMa– no problem”……. During my first measure up I did express my concern re clothing not being too tight and my tailor assured me ”don’t worry MaMa I will make you beautiful”

Today mine is the only clothing still requiring slight adjustment which is completed while I wait, the rest of our travelling group head off and my husband kindly waits for me – he actually managed to take some of our best trip photos while sitting out the front of the tailor patiently waiting – lots of very interesting vehicles and loads as well as beautiful Vietnamese life in general.

We took our clothes back to our hotel and shopped and generally enjoyed the sights making our way through markets and other streets to dinner at Tam Tam café - Another delicious meal. Great atmosphere! And again nice white wine.

This truly is a foodies paradise I am sure.

I must say I didnt find any of the shop assistants aggressive as I had read. It was all really good fun. Some were very peristant but not aggressive. We all loved our shopping experience in Hoi An.

More tomorrow from Hanoi.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ‘Just Back Report’-7 (delayed post) Hoi An Jan 2nd 2012

Nice report.

Warners Bay...
Level Contributor
463 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ‘Just Back Report’-7 (delayed post) Hoi An Jan 2nd 2012

Another good JBR I can't wait to get to Hoi An we will be there at the end of our 6 week adventure for 5 days, looking forward to doing a cooking class something I have never tried before.

Cheers Sylvia

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ‘Just Back Report’-7 (delayed post) Hoi An Jan 2nd 2012

Try the Red Bridge cooking class, arguably the best in Vietnam - beautiful riverside location with its own swimming pool too.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ‘Just Back Report’-7 (delayed post) Hoi An Jan 2nd 2012

Thanks, I wish we had done the cooking class, at the time I didn't think I would enjoy it but am regretting it now. looking forward to Hanoi.

california
Level Contributor
796 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ‘Just Back Report’-7 (delayed post) Hoi An Jan 2nd 2012

Enjoy reading your report, and hopefully can squeeze a cooking class during our 3 1/2 day visit to Hoi An next month.

6. Re: ‘Just Back Report’-7 (delayed post) Hoi An Jan 2nd 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 23:40