We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay at Danang or Hoi An ?

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
stay at Danang or Hoi An ?

Pls let me know, where is best stay at vietnam (danang or hoi an)?

Cause i'm first time to danang with my family.

jacksonville
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stay at Danang or Hoi An ?

It depends but for tourist stuff...HoiAn

For non tourist stuff... DaNang

Then again it depends on the time of year also.

It depends on what you like to do.

Edited: 11 June 2012, 17:29
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,532 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stay at Danang or Hoi An ?

I would say that 90% of travelers prefer Hoi An - so do I!

Da Nang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: stay at Danang or Hoi An ?

As Jax said, go to Hoi An if you prefer the more "touristy" stuff. However, Da Nang has A LOT to offer including many experiences you won't find in Hoi An. It does take some homework to see all the sites in Da Nang, but it's well worth it. If I had 10 days I would split them evenly between Hoi An and Da Nang.

Food: Da Nang blows away Hoi An In my opinion

Beaches: Da Nang blows away the rest of Viet Nam (in my opinion)

Sights: Da Nang has the strong edge for Mountain Views, bridges, river/beachwalks, and Pagodas. Hoi An has some unique old architecture, and Cham Island is nice (although technically not Hoi An)

Shopping: Hoi An has a definate if not overwhelming advantage, although many of the same items can be found cheaper in Da Nang (but finding them is difficult for the tourist).

See my lengthy Da Nang Post here: tripadvisor.com/…41491720

Edited: 11 June 2012, 18:47
jacksonville
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stay at Danang or Hoi An ?

World_Panda

Stop pushing DaNang if everyone starts come here then all the prices are going to go up, traffic will get bad, the beaches will be covered in tourist, the eating establishments will fill up and we will not be able to get in for good meals without reservations.... now stop it, let them go make a mess out of HoiAn and Hue and SGN.... LOL

Edited: 11 June 2012, 19:23
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stay at Danang or Hoi An ?

Hoi an without a doubt. I say that but when we were there we saw an awful lot of building work going on by the large chain hotels so they clearly expect it to be a tourist destination in the future but for now go with Hoi An.

Da Nang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: stay at Danang or Hoi An ?

Dang it Jax... I am trying to start a business here catering to tourists...

Already got my Sign made:

"chụp ảnh, một phút"

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stay at Danang or Hoi An ?

World Panda, One minute photography - no advertising here, but I take your post in what appears to be a humourous approach. :-)

Greg

jacksonville
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stay at Danang or Hoi An ?

World_Panda

"chụp ảnh, một phút"

I don't like my picture taken, even for a minute. You can see me on the left of this post.

She is not really advertising...just goofing around.

Edited: 12 June 2012, 00:43
Da Nang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: stay at Danang or Hoi An ?

Yes, the one minute photogs used to be a phenomena limited to those occupying the Han River and Thuận Phước bridges in Da Nang. In the past few months they have migrated like locusts, bringing their poor photography skills to the Thu Bon river bridge in Hoi An. There currently must be at least a dozen of the them clogging up the bridge.

We were crossing the Thu Bon bridge last week when one of them pushed my spouse hard because she accidentally was blocking his shot (apparently THEY own the bridge now). I almost dumped the little creep and his cheap Nikon into the drink. Decided against that but let a few choice Vietnamese cuss words fly out of mouth that even my Viet wife didn't realize that I had learned. Won't repeat them here, but the letters start with DX MX MXX!

Edited: 12 June 2012, 01:42
Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: stay at Danang or Hoi An ?

World_Panda, do you cuss in Roman numerals? LOL. I think I would have gone ahead and given the Nikon bearer the push he deserved - it is a shame if the local authorities allow people to monopolise an attraction to the degree that it affects other users. Reputable tour agencies should band together to rid those that will eventually affect their trade and make any place less attractive to the tourists, (and good locals).

Greg