We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conflicting dates for lantern festival in April 2013?

Boston
Level Contributor
325 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Conflicting dates for lantern festival in April 2013?

I'm so confused!

I'm trying to schedule being in Hoi An for the lantern festival and have arrange to end my trip using the wisdom that has circulated here. That wisdom being that the festival occurs on the 14th day of the Lunar month. I also have read that it occurs on the night of the full moon. The problem is that these dates don't seem to necessarily be the same.

Online full moon calculators put the full moon in VN on April 26th.

However, one of the national celebrations is the Emperor Hung's birthday (?) which occurs on the 10th day of the Lunar month, is scheduled for April 19th. That logic would put the Hoi An lantern festival on the 23rd.

Can someone confirm the festival date in Hoi for April 2013?

On a separate note, I also came across the Le Phat Dan (Buddha's Birthday) to be April 15th? I always thought it was in May. Can anyone confirm? Will there be celebrations in Saigon or Hanoi?

Thanks!

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conflicting dates for lantern festival in April 2013?

I'm assuming Buddha's birthday is a Vietnamese form of Buddhist new year. I've never celebrated it in Hanoi or seen anything related to it in Hanoi. If it is Buddhist New Year, celebrated in Theravadana buddhist countries, including neighboring Thailand and Laos, the date depends on the Luna calendar and will change from year to year. Usually its in April.

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conflicting dates for lantern festival in April 2013?

Hi Molly, the Hoi An Full moon festival is held on the 14th day of the lunar calendar. In April 2013 this will fall on 23 April. Buddahs Birthday (Phong Sinh) falls on the 15th day of the fourth lunar month. In 2013 this would be the 24th April. I am not sure if there would be two celebrations, being so close together, or if they would combine.

Greg

Boston
Level Contributor
325 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conflicting dates for lantern festival in April 2013?

Bummer! I tried so hard to make sure I scheduled being in hoi an for the festival. Looks like I'm going to miss everything. *sigh* I had been using the full moon calendars; I could never find a lunar calendar. Very sad.

Hanoi
Level Contributor
734 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Conflicting dates for lantern festival in April 2013?

see the lantern festival here:

qdnd.vn/qdndsite/…Default.aspx

Buddha's Birthday was calculated by lunar calendar on 15th of May every year.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,828 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Conflicting dates for lantern festival in April 2013?

molly, don't be too disappointed- every night of the week Hoi An lights up with all the lanterns everywhere and every night they float the candles down the river- it's just beautiful and i'm not so sure it's very much different on the 'full moon'

Boston
Level Contributor
325 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Conflicting dates for lantern festival in April 2013?

Oh you've made my day, maz! Thank you. I was led to believe it was only the one time each month. I guess, then, they only close the streets that one night then.

I'm so excited! Thanks!

Da Nang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Conflicting dates for lantern festival in April 2013?

Well, there is a difference between the normal nights and the lantern festival nights. During Lantern festival most of the lights are turned down or off converting the lanterns to the primary light source. There are various street activities and games although some of these games have been converted to non-festival times (i.e. bài chòi). There are still lanterns lighting the streets on a nightly basis, but those are primarily from vendors selling them. The selling of "candle boats" used to be only allowed during festival, but greed (and poverty) has also converted that to a nightly activity.

Here are the remaining Lantern Festival Dates for 2012:

02 Jul 2012 (gone)

01 Aug 2012

30 Aug 2012

29 Sept 2012

28 Oct 2012

27 Nov 2012

26 Dec 2012

The streets are shut down to motorbikes daily from 7-9PM, but the hours are extended for festival to maintain the atmosphere.

Edited: 04 July 2012, 17:09
Fairlie, New Zealand
Level Contributor
18 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Conflicting dates for lantern festival in April 2013?

Can anyone please tell me where to find a link to the Hoi An festivals for May 2013?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Conflicting dates for lantern festival in April 2013?

We will be visiting Hoi An from 23rd July 2013 and I was also hoping to be there for the Lantern Festival - does anyone know the date of the festival in July 2013?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,828 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Conflicting dates for lantern festival in April 2013?

well, further to my post above- after 6 or 7 trips to Hoian over the last few years, we finally made it to a Lantern Festival- it was on for two nights and after the first night we didn't even bother going into town the next night-

the major difference being that the lights around the walk-way bridge are turned off and frankly it looks prettier every other night of the month (imho)

bloody hard to walk around in pitch blackness too I must say