We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach resort or old town?

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
698 posts
219 reviews
Save Topic
Beach resort or old town?

Hi there,

We have decided that we will be travelling to Vietnam in March 2014, of which we'll be spending about a week in Hoi An. We are trying to decide what is best value hotel wise. Should we try and stay in the old town or at a beach resort? And does anyone have any personal recommendations?

Many thanks.

tasmania
Level Contributor
342 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach resort or old town?

Love them both, only 5 min cheap taxi ride so not really a drama where you choose, we do half & half.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach resort or old town?

Right,

Half & Half is an excellent choice. You can spend 3 night in Da Nang, If you want to heading Bana Hill. and the rest night in ancient town Hoi An, You can still go to the beach from Hoi An with 5mins taxi.

an other suggestion is 1 night on Cham island, it's worth.

Enjoy your trip

Cheer

Jessica

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
848 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach resort or old town?

Both are good and not far from each other. As a regular visitor to Hoian I often swift the location however staying in town is cheaper and is near to everything.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,766 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach resort or old town?

as it's your first time, I think half and half- best of both worlds

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
698 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach resort or old town?

Thanks for the swift replies!

What are the best options for staying in the town? We are thinking of a budget of about £50 per night.

Bulli, Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach resort or old town?

I think the beach is better for the resorts. But not sure if you can get a room for 50?

I just got back from Sunrise and really loved it. Didn't find it too far from the town with the shuttle service.

Perhaps see the Hoi An Chic hotel. Its really nice and in town.

London, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach resort or old town?

I was in Hoi An a few weeks ago. We stayed in the town but on the riverside, I highly recommend the Vinh Hung Emerald Resort. On the door step of the hotel you have a few families renting our bikes of a few thousand VND. We cycled to An Bang Beach and Cu Dai Beach, both of which aren't far to cycle to. Originally we planned to split our time between a place in town and on the beach but I'm so glad we just decided to have four fulls days in town instead. Its very peaceful by the riverside and only a short walk into the old town.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach resort or old town?

It gets pretty hot in Hoi An and my preference is to stay at the beach as you get cooling breezes coming in over the sea whereas town stays pretty hot -- only a 10min taxi ride to downtown anyway and very cheap

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach resort or old town?

Hey Clova,

Have just been to Vn with 4 other old salts and even though they are beach blokes through and through, they all prefered Hoi an town. We found the beach a bit boring, probably as we were not there for a relaxing time but the town is always bustling with fun.

We stayed at the Vinh hung 3 for about $35 per room and they are still raving about the accom and Hoi an in general.

If you are looking for a beach break go to Cua dai or An bang, if looking to be in the midst of fun and people, choose Hoi an town. IMO.

Mark

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
698 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach resort or old town?

Thanks for all the reples. Booked up in the town!

Get answers to your questions about Hoi An