We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 5 Hoi An eats

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Top 5 Hoi An eats

Hi All

Please could you provide some recommendations on some places to eat / try authentic vietnamese food / local delights? What are some of the "must trys" other than pho? Please also advise if the majority of the restaurants are by reservations or walk-ins? Would be disappointed to come all the way from danang only to be turned away at the door. What about food choices for kids? What is good for them to eat?

Thanks much in advance.

:)

Hoi An, Vietnam
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 5 Hoi An eats

Morning glory

Cargo Culberson

Mango mango

Lantern town

Bazar

Warragul, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 5 Hoi An eats

Top Hoi An specialties are Cau Lao (a noodle dish with pork slivers and chewy noodles that are unique to Hoi An), Mi Quang (another noodle dish with prawns and chicken with yellow noodles also special to this province), Com Ga (a local version of chicken rice), Hoi An Banh Mi (the baguette that Anthony Bourdain made famous), Banh xeo (a local pancake), yes, pho is a given anywhere in Vietnam and Hoi An has it's own style.

You can try pretty much all of those at the actual Hoi An market (the main market in town) which has a food court area that has been renovated over recent years and is now hygenic! The original market ladies still run the market here, no foreigners or outsiders. So it's properly local! The prices are fixed at 25,000VND per dish.

There are a myriad of local restaurants and of course you can search in TripAdvisor for the top ones. I would say must-try restaurants for authentic local Vietnamese are Morning Glory and Mai Fish, For restaurants that specialize in specific dishes, I would try Pho Xua (opposite the Bale Well alley on Phan Chau Trinh st) for Pho (25,000VND a bowl and I think the best in town - only open mornings and evenings 5-10). Hai Dao on Ly Thai To St does amazing Banh Xeo (Hoi An savoury pancake with prawns) and spring rolls and White Sails (the original venue off Le Loi st not Tran Cao Van) for seafood.

You can find plenty of street stalls on Tran Cao Van st, including Banh Mi stalls. Also in the the late afternoon by the performance area of old town you can find vendors grilling pork skewers (thit nuong).

If you want to try in a restaurant style environment but see all the various dishes being made you can go to The Market restaurant. They also do food tasting tours.

Hope that helps!

Amy (Live Hoi An Magazine)

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
442 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 5 Hoi An eats

I would recommend Morning Glory and Bale Well. I would also suggest doing a tour called The Original Taste of Hoi An, at the start of your Hoi An stay.

Austin, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Top 5 Hoi An eats

Cao lau (rice noodle with 5-spice marinated sliced pork and aromatic herbs)

Mi Quang (another kind of noodle with shrimps, sliced pork or sometimes with chicken)

Banh xeo (sound pancakes with pork rolled with rice paper cake and aromatic herbs)

Banh dap (rice paper pancakes and wet rice paper pancake put together eaten with a very special sauce)

Hen xao (saute clamps)

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top 5 Hoi An eats

My favourites were Gourmet Garden and Before and Now, also Streets

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Top 5 Hoi An eats

I add more detail information from Pilot J food list.

_Chicken Rice

Ms Buoi restaurant: 22 Phan Chau Trinh street

Ms Ty restaurant: 27 Phan Chau Trinh street

_Cao Lau

Thanh restaurant: 26 Thai Phien st

Trung Bac restaurant: 87 Tran Phu st

_Quang Noodle

CT restaurant: Thai Phien street

Ong Hai restaurant: 6A Truong Minh Luong st

_Fresh Rice Paper and saute clamps

Ba Gia restaurant and Co Ngay restaurant: Nguyen Tri Phuong st

_Whiterose

Whiterose restaurant: 533 Hai Ba Trung st

Mr Ngai restaurant: 44/16 Phan Chau Trinh st

How old are your kids?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top 5 Hoi An eats

Thanks for suggestions and addresses kids are 7 and 10 :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
169 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top 5 Hoi An eats

On your first day in Hoi An highly recommend Taste of Hoi An tour - you get to taste 40 dishes . We loved My Son restaurant on the river for lunch(ask 4 the small menu too), Miss Ly's,Bale Well ,white Sail and the best Bahn Mi is at Phuong's - we could have eaten these for breakfast,lunch n dinner as they are so good. My kids loved Cargo Bar especially for dessert each night. Of an afternoon a trolley is wheeled around town with ice- creams - yum! checkout the food in the local market .if you want a change from local food Ganesh Indian is superb. Make sure you cycle out to An Bang beach for lunch. Highly recommend Green Bamboo cooking day too

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Top 5 Hoi An eats

With kids 7 and 10 years old, you guys can eat all foods i recommend. If you like cake, you can visit Cargo or Tam Tam restaurants.

Nice day!

10. Re: Top 5 Hoi An eats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2014, 05:16