We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best of Hoi An

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
The best of Hoi An

Hiya,

I'll be in Vietnam October-November and I'm trying to work out how to distribute my days. I've come for your collective wisdom, Tripadvisor. What is the one thing (or two or three things!) that you would not want to miss in Hoi An? How many days would you spend there?

I know they have the tailor thing going on and I know there is the beach, but relaxing and clothes-fittings aside, what is the best that Hoi An has to offer?

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
169 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best of Hoi An

Hi, we spent 7 days in Hoi An in April and could have spent more and we didn't even go to a tailor. On our 1st day we did Taste Of Hoi An Tour - fantastic! Our favourite thing we did though was Green Bamboo cooking day. We cycled everywhere. Especially loved doing the two cycle routes on the Live Hoi An Map that take you out to the surrounding countryside. Cycled to An Bang Beach.,to.Son Restaurant along the river on the way to Cui Dai Beach for a relaxing lunch. Had Tiffany necklaces copied at La Viet, had prescribed glasses made, and purchased loads of e books for a $1 each.

The food in Hoi An is superb. The best Bahn Mi is from Phuongs - warning once you have one you will be addicted to them. Try the local food in the Central Hall at the market. Some of our favourite restaurants - White Sail, Bale Well, miss Ly's , Mai Cai and Cargo Bar for dessert each night. Try and find the ice cream vendor that walks around town - they are good. The street food in Hoi An is very good. Ganesh for Indian is yum!

We stayed at Hou An Marina and loved it. Also near by is Ving Hung Emerald. I really like the little island where these resorts are as they are located facing the river and the local life surrounds you.

Hanoi
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The best of Hoi An

Hoi An is old quater, you can visit the city, take the boat trip along Thu Bon river and relax on the beach. If you have enough time, you should spend 3 or 4 days in Hoi An, this is a quiet town, friendly people.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The best of Hoi An

Apart from all the superb street or market food, don't miss Tra Que- the Vegetation Village, Cam Thanh Eco Tour and Carpentry Handicraft VIllage along Thu Bon River. Cham Island is also beautiful but the weather may be a challenge to get there. The Marble Mountains are around 15 kms away, on the way from Hoi An to Da Nang....The more you stay, the more you discover the beauty and hospitality of Hoi An and you will find it hard to leave.

Vietravel

Edited: 29 August 2013, 09:20
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best of Hoi An

Hoi An free tours are a must...prebook.And My Son sunrise trip.

Edited: 29 August 2013, 13:53
Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
760 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best of Hoi An

I almost thought I had written Lionbear1's post because we too did the Taste of Hoi An street food tour and had an amazing cooking class with Van of Green Bamboo! Definitely two highlights of our entire trip to Vietnam. We also did a bicycle tour with Heaven and Earth Tours which was also fantastic. We absolutely loved Hoi An!!

www.FromHomeToRoam.com

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
69 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best of Hoi An

Oct and Nov are the stormy season in Hoi An. So let think about the duration here.

Some options you can do in Hoi An:

+ Cu Lao Cham Island tour (20-25$/pax: transfer, speed boat, tour guide, lunch)

+ Tra Que vegetable village (discover farmer life, cooking class - 30 - 35$/pax)

+ Basket boat in the morning (10-15$/pax)

+ Rice show and buffalo cart (half day or full day - 10 - 20$/pax)

+ Day trip to My Son (45km from Hoi An town)

+ Day Trip to Son Tra peninsula

Need to say that, Hoi An is so charming and you will find many things to do by your self.

Have a great trip!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best of Hoi An

Just remember that it is the rainy season in Hoi An when you'll be there so I wouldn't plan too much beach time.

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best of Hoi An

Thanks for the great ideas everyone! I'll be traveling with my brother who is vegetarian - vegetable village sounds great!

Edited: 31 August 2013, 04:58
9. Re: The best of Hoi An

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2014, 06:20