We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hue day trip.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
76 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Hue day trip.

Hi

We will be in Hoi An for 5 days in April and are thinking about taking a day trip to Hue. I have had a quote from water buffalo tours which seems ok with a tour of Hue, lunch, a trip down the perfume river and one or two other stops. Just wondering if its too long a drive although it says the scenery is very good.

Thanks. Chris K x

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hue day trip.

It is, indeed, very scenic, but it's about a 3-hour trip each way. While this is certainly doable, it can make for a LONG day.

If you have the flexibility, you may want to consider an overnight trip. There is certainly enough to see in Hue for at least 2 days. Aside from the citadel, tombs, and the Perfume River, Hue is also a great walking city (or biking) offering some very pretty colonial architecture. Then, of course, there is the food, which is very unique and unlike anything you'll experience elsewhere in Vietnam.

hunter valley nsw
Level Contributor
277 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hue day trip.

Hello ... Any place you would recommend regarding food

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
980 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hue day trip.

I would say it is a long day trip but worth it. The hoi van pass is spectacular. I would have thought you would only do this one way to save time.

Not sure I would think the perfume river trip as a must do though.

I would be tempted to just hire a driver for the day.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
76 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hue day trip.

Hi CWCardiff. I believe the tour does do the pass one way but a quicker one on the return trip.

pgh, pa
Destination Expert
for Da Nang
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hue day trip.

A miriad of restaurants await the Hue City visitor......don't worry about food....some of the best in Viet Nam.

Edited: 20 March 2014, 12:45
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
980 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hue day trip.

ah then a one way visit would be ideal. I would go for it and enjoy the day.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
76 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hue day trip.

Thanks for the advice guys x Really appreciate it.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hue day trip.

Hey ChrisK3

A day trip does Hue an injustice IMO. The citadel, nguyen tombs etc... can take 2 days to explore and the driving time from Hoi an makes a day trip seem ludicrous IMO. With 5 nights in Hoi an, lose one of them to Hue and really enjoy the experience.

Mark

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hue day trip.

Hi Chris K

We recently did a trip to Hue from Hoi An, unfortunately we didn't research tours or drivers and ended up disappointed without a English speaking driver we still managed to enjoy the trip and day but any questions we had could not be answered. The scenery is lovely. It is a big day trip. Knowing what I know now I would A. Ensure English speaking driver and B. Would probably do an overnight stay, but in saying that a day trip certainly is doable and worth a look. I noticed on this forum, reliable driver in Hoi An.. A person called Tommy got a few great mentions may be worth looking into. May be we should have read the forum before our trip (laugh)

Loving Vietnam

Charlotte :-)

10. Re: Hue day trip.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 07:32
Get answers to your questions about Hoi An