We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Novice Travellers Experience in Hoi An

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Novice Travellers Experience in Hoi An

Hi this is a run down of our 7 days in Hoi An

We are Novice Travellers although in Hoi An we were fortunate to join up with hubby's Brother and Sister-in-law who experienced Hoi An last year, so some helpful inside information for us.

Arrived at Da Nang Airport... Pick up arranged for about three quarter an hour drive to Hoi An.

Much less traffic but still intrigued by the Vietnamese road/driving/riding capabilities :-)

1st day

Settled into our accommodation Brother organised a serviced house called An Hai Villa. A nice homely feel compared to resort/hotel accommodation.

Our first night Hoi An was celebrating the full moon festival (occurs on every full moon streets lined with lanterns and candles floated into the river) a lovely introduction to Hoi An.

Hoi An itself is full of Charm and Character with a wonderful Village. atmosphere. A welcomed change from bustling city of vibrant Saigon.

Next morning up early for The Food Lovers' Guide to Hoi An tour which if I remember cost approximately $60 USD, this is a very enjoyable wonderful walking tour through Hoi An showing market places and introducing different eating places with (I lost count of how many) tastings. We fully recommend this tour (I wrote a review) it is full of information to set you on track for a wonderful stay, We utilised so many places learnt from this tour.

Hoi An is the place for tailor made clothing and handmade shoes, boots and handbags. They are everywhere word of mouth usually recommending where to go! Our advice for this would be have some sort of idea of what you are after, take an item you may want copied or a photo or magazine picture. The shops all have catalogues nothing like you receive as junk mail...Albums and Albums and Albums...I love shopping but this kind of experience can be overwhelming with all sorts of thoughts going through your head especially what if I don't like the finished product...don't worry they will fix it most things made in less than 24 hours, Amazing workers and beautiful people.

Our transport while here was scooters that we hired for $5/day both our blokes are very experienced motorbike riders in Australia and I do not and will not recommended anyone without a lot of experience to attempt scooters, We loved the experience but the blokes had to have their wits about them...Traffic is a conversation had by all tourists :-)

Lots of tourists also hire push bikes although I didn't ride one I think it would be a good way to navigate around the streets but still need your wits.

We did 2 tours a self guided tour to the must see lovely Marble Mountain allow a few hours, comfortable shoes, lots of steps but rest stops of caves with Buddhas inside, a well deserved view after the climb.

Our second tour was to Hue, We booked a tour through a driver we met who spoke good English on the day he sent a driver who didn't speak English we assumed that we may get a English speaking guide once there...No. Slightly disappointing but didn't ruin the day the view on the 3 hour drive spectacular, went to the old city absolutely huge, a tour guide would have been good as I am sure we missed some as self guided. Advise to double check English speaking tour drivers and guides. A day trip to Hue is a big day.

The rest of our time was Eating mostly at places recommended from the foodie tour, drinking with us girls enjoying the odd 2 for 1 cocktails and shopping all a Hoi An must.

Like every other tourist I have met that has been to Hoi An you can't help falling in love with it

Happy Holidays!

We are in Hanoi now

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An Food Lovers
Hoi An Food Lovers
21 Reviews
Hoi An, Vietnam
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Lang Mai Travel
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bike Tours, Walking Tours, Boat Tours
Tra Nhieu Eco Tour
Walking Tours, Bike Tours, Cultural Tours
Hoi An Classic Tours - Day Tours
Walking Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Hoi An Private Tours & Transfer
Food Tours, Eco Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
London
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Novice Travellers Experience in Hoi An

Charlotte, thanks for taking the time to post this. Sounds like a great trip.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Novice Travellers Experience in Hoi An

Thanks Karen C

I also wrote a run down in the Ho Chi Minh City Travel Forum. Novice Travellers Experience in Ho Chi Minh City. This has been a Fabulous trip words are not enough to explain.

Cheers Charlotte :-)

Mentioned in this post
Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
486 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Novice Travellers Experience in Hoi An

Enjoyed your write-up. I love Hoi an and hope to be back one day, with the hubby. Thanks for sharing

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,415 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Novice Travellers Experience in Hoi An

I always find these write-up refreshing, as I remember reading Sonlou's and those from others as well.

I don't discount the negative ones, either.

But I believe in traveling with a positive attitude.

I find it benificial.

Cheers,

John

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Novice Travellers Experience in Hoi An

What a lovely report.

I am heading back to Hoi an next weekend and this report as made me go from excited to frenzied.

The Entrance...
Level Contributor
34 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Novice Travellers Experience in Hoi An

Hi Charlotte

This afternoon I was missing Vietnam so I thought I might read some of the comments on the tripadvisor forum

I have just been reading your little blog and its like daja vu!

We stayed at the An Hai villa for 2weeks and left on the 10th march so it was more then likely you that moved in next.

Also over the years we have travelled to Vietnam Neville & Colleen have become good friends of ours. We hired motorised push bikes to get around with in the day and ordered a taxi next door at night.

You are so right you can't help falling in love with Hoi An it gets under your skin and for us we never want to leave!

7. Re: Novice Travellers Experience in Hoi An

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 04:16