We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoi An Old Town Entrance Ticket - Update

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
862 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Hoi An Old Town Entrance Ticket - Update

As the other thread is a bit long and arduous to read through and the state of affairs regarding the ticket have changed... An Update.

Family groups and students (less than four people) will not be charged a ticket to walk in the old town.*

The ticket price for foreigner is 120,000vnd - which allows guided entrance to five vestiges of interest in the old town.

The price to domestic travellers is 80,000vnd and allows access to three vestiges of interest.

The ticket is valid for ten days.

Proceeds from the ticket go towards renovation work to the old town (at debated percentages - but approx 80% reinvested).

The ticket will be replaced by a pin on tag (so you don't forget it).

*subject to confirmation from the peoples committee press conference tomorrow - 26/04/2014.

The entrance ticket crackdown was a 'pilot scheme' to reduce losses. It has been admitted that there was a bit of mismanagement, lack of information and confusion. Security staff have not behaved well.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,062 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: Hoi An Old Town Entrance Ticket - Update

Actually Phil H,

Hoi an is one of the rare towns that the men are active. I admit that the Vn women run this country and do it well but Hoi an blokes are much more active than elsewhere :-)

As for tickets, we were there for 4 days and were not approached to buy one. We were happy to pay the one off price but the booths were empty ??

Just for the record, your ticket lasts for 10 days, just keep it in your pocket.

I believe the money grab was reversed due to people power and the internet forums. Hoi an has now settled back into the quaint town that it should be. IMHO :-)

Mark

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
82. Re: Hoi An Old Town Entrance Ticket - Update

"Hoi an is one of the rare towns that the men are active"

Empirical observation over 25 years has made it abundantly clear to me that in Vietnam the women are doing the heavy lifting.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,062 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Hoi An Old Town Entrance Ticket - Update

Hey Jim,

Seriously, I am not going to my Dictionary app. What does Empirical mean???? I could look it up and sound really smart but that does not help anyone mate. I took my big boofy travel buddies to the Womens Museum in Hanoi 2 days ago and it is obvious who runs the real Vietnam. Heart and mind IMO.

mark

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
84. Re: Hoi An Old Town Entrance Ticket - Update

Darned auto complete on my tablet. In case you didn't notice I actually agreed with you. If males actually pull their weight in Hoi An it is rare.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,062 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Hoi An Old Town Entrance Ticket - Update

Ha Jim, yes my apologies for your glitch. We are currently rambling through the VN countryside and are amazed at the strength of the women and their input into society. Extraordinary. Sorry, slipping off topic.

Mark

1 post
Save Reply
86. Re: Hoi An Old Town Entrance Ticket - Update

well said brenthren, well said.

87. Re: Hoi An Old Town Entrance Ticket - Update

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 05:16