We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoi An to Hue

Port Fairy...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Hoi An to Hue

I know this have been asked heaps here...but I could only seem to find posts that aren't current. We are landing in Danang then go to Hoi An. From Hoi An we go to Hue. What will be the best form of travel. I'm thinking private car/hotel transfer from Danang to Hoi An. And then either train or private car between hoi an/Danang and Hue but probably leaning to private car. What stops on the way do you recommend and what is the current approx cost for a car?

Thanx heaps once again....ten days to go and I can barely breathe I'm so darn excited...eeeeekk!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
685 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hoi An to Hue

There is no direct train between Hoi An and Hue. If you want to go by rail you'd need to get from Hoi An to Danang and get the train from there to Hue. I've not done it yet, but I've read reports that it's a very scenic train ride.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hue
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hoi An to Hue

Anything you read on these matters from the past 12 months and more will still apply. The usual price being charged for a car tour at the Hue end at least is still $65. If you can't get near that in Hoi An ask your Hue hotel for a price.

Stops: Marble Mtns ..My Khe Beach..top of Hai Van pass.... There are a couple of places a car can stop on the pass for photos ...Lang Co Beach (a swim maybe ..lunch is OK but I prefer Be Than on the lagoon).....Elephant Springs (popular local swimmng spot).... fishing village.

Few of these tours stop at the Cham Museum in Danang but it can be arranged.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 16:03
Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
98 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hoi An to Hue

Mizpea

Captain Tam who has been recommended on this forum before for his dragon boat tours and being able to organise just about anything has organised this same transfer with stops along the way from Hoi An to Hue in a 7 seater for us in 2.5 weeks for $65. Let me know if you want his email? The price quoted by our Hue hotel was almost double this price.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hoi An to Hue

Mizpea

rayza offers the 'good oil' in regards to your question. Get prices from your Hoi an and Hue hotels and go from there.

Mark

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
98 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hoi An to Hue

Sorry, just realised I should have specified it is actually the Hue forum where captain Tam is mentioned for his dragon boat tours.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hoi An to Hue

That is a good price Cassie, as long as you can have stops along the way and don't go through the tunnel.

Ask the questions and let us know :-)

Mark

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hue
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hoi An to Hue

Mark

Cassie's trip is from Hoi An to Vedana Lagoon Resort. And I would expect a seven-seater all the way to Hue to be $75.

Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hoi An to Hue

Recommend easy rider motorbike tour, the best way to see and experience VN. Ask for stops at Elephant Springs, Lang Co Beach, Hai Van Pass, Da Nang, Marble Mountain and My khe beach. One of the best things we did during our 3 week trip to VN. Enjoy

Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hoi An to Hue

Only way is car, did it yesterday from Hoi An to Hue but the private 7 seater busses are definitely not maintained as they should be and although the one we had looked great ( Mercedes) it was an unsafe "shed."

The problem is going over the high mountains; on the way up it is 20 km/hr and it overheats badly', the engine was shot so it would only pull with the A/c off (temperature outside about 40 C); on the way down the breaks were overheating so it was 15 km/ hr in first gear and quite dangerous even by the crazy motoring standards of Vietnam.

The worst thing generally apart from the brakes was the absence of functional shock absorbers, the trip was horrific as regards transportation.

We used Hoi An culture Tours located opposite the fabulous Palm Garden Resort at 79 Lac Long St Hoi An, which is actually a tour agent attached to the Golden Fish Restauragnt, do not use them, they charged 90 used and thought the marathon adventure we had with the bus was funny; it was dangerous and took almost 8 hrs - breaking down on that mountain would have been a disaster.

The pain and misery of the bus ride was worth it though as Hue is definitely a "must do" and good enough to come back for to get a few days there.

But do not use the Hoi An Culture Tour company ( Golden Fish Restaurant) it was seriously unnerving by any standards and very uncomfortable even for us who have lived in the Amazon Basin.

The Palm Garden Resort is amazing by the way, faultless, beautiful with great facilities and a fabulous beach, would recommend it to anyone.

Hoi An is a treasure too and the holiday was truly fabulous

Daron L

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hoi An to Hue

Guys,

I have been recommending Tam's services , once every 2 years on this Forum. He has been a personal friend of mine for 14 years . I posted his services ( not just boat trips, motor cycling trips, trips to outer villages, etc.). He is as honest as the day is long, a fluent English speaker, 3rd , 4th generation Hue born!---I have just counted the number of PM's I have received from TA forum members since I posted early this year---they number 17 very satisfied customers!----need I say more?-----Cassie's price is a good one, because Tam is charging $75 USD to take a quality car, his driver, and himself from Hue to Hoi An to collect her at her hotel, and return, stopping wherever she wishes, OVER Hai Van, Lang Co, lunch at the Lagoon, drop her at the Vedana , then drive on to Hue by himself ( and driver ) with the car!

Good Value , I am sure!---choice is yours!

plover

P.S. ---you get him on " captaintan8@gmail.com "----Phone number ---0905 768 523.

P.P.S. ---after 33 trips and living in VN 5+ years since 1998, he is the only individual I ever have recommended!