We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling all experts- Would you stay in Hoi An 3-7th Nov ?

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Calling all experts- Would you stay in Hoi An 3-7th Nov ?

Hi,

I have spent many hours reviewing weather reports on bad weather, flooding and typhoons that occur Oct-November in that region of Vietnam.

We are a travelling party of 2 couples a 7,5 and 3 year old. We have love to travel throughout Asia, however have not been to Vietnam yet.

We are planning our trip spending end of October in Thailand then Ho Chi Min city for 4 nights then on to Hoi An.

I know I has been asked any times (and aside from a crystal ball), I would like to hear views or recommendations from expats, people that live in or are very familiar with the area. We are used to the usual downpour of Thailand's wet season in October but a typhoon on the other hand is an entirely different kettle of fish. And if you would go. Where would you stay?

Cheers,

Vanessa

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,434 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling all experts- Would you stay in Hoi An 3-7th Nov ?

here is an image link for Hoi An during and after a typhoon: https://www.google.com.au/search?newwindow=1&safe=off&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=681&q=typhoon+damage+hoi+an&oq=typhoon+damage+hoi+an&gs_l=img.12...4180.14109.0.17477.21.15.0.6.6.0.104.1351.13j2.15.0....0...1ac.1.48.img..6.15.1343.zbl3QLnax8Y

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,247 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling all experts- Would you stay in Hoi An 3-7th Nov ?

Keyword....... Flexibility. Have that in your plans and if things do flood out, it's just a case of moving on to plan B. Do keep an eye on the weather though. As you say there is a big difference between a storm and a typhoon. Although a storm was plenty enough for me when I visited Hoi An some years back. We were in the outdoor pool in sunshine at 4pm and yet less than an hour later the storm came in. Two hours and the roads were awash with at least 50 cm high in flood water. Best avoided. Even more so as we went out for dinner in a coach and had to walk the plank to get into and out of the restaurant.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
199 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling all experts- Would you stay in Hoi An 3-7th Nov ?

We were there last November for 5 days, and not one wet day. We live in North Qld, so know what that weather can be like. We are going again this year in Nov.as well.! Good Luck with your trip and you will just love Hoi An.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling all experts- Would you stay in Hoi An 3-7th Nov ?

As others mentioned check the weather before you leave so you do have some other activities planned for Hoi An. Plenty of cooking classes you can do if the weather is bad !!

For additional info on Hoi An

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i39370-Trip_Rep…

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling all experts- Would you stay in Hoi An 3-7th Nov ?

Every time we've been to Hoi An it's been flooded to some extent, but it doesn't stop you enjoying the place. And all these trips have been in September. Last time round the pedestrian and bike bridge to the islet was out, but that just meant a slight detour to get around. And the locals all seem to take it in their stride.

Definitely still go, but as 69Bertie said, have a plan B up your sleeve.

melbourne
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling all experts- Would you stay in Hoi An 3-7th Nov ?

Hi, Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think that we will go but make sure that we have a 7 day cancellation option for hotel booking and that our insurance will cover flight cancellations.

Dirty Pierre, Im loving all of your posts and would love to catch up for a bite to eat and beer (our shout of course ;-))

Westengaz, I have been watching lots of utube clips on the floods, and yes the people sure take it in their stride.

Cheers, Vanessa

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
800 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling all experts- Would you stay in Hoi An 3-7th Nov ?

Aside from all the excellent advice above, things that you can check now are if your dates fall on either full or half moon, these dates in both Oct and Nov are when our tide is highest, so therefore the most likely time for the town to flood. If your dates do converge, then book a hotel outside of town on high ground. That way you'll see the floods from a whole other perspective (one that is not ruined by being trapped over on An Hoi). It's a beautiful thing to see and so very normal, it's a little like a snow day, unless it is unforeseen.

As for typhoons, this will be my fourth typhoon season, in that time we have had one. Hoi An does not have the infrastructure in place to withstand these storms and it can be very dangerous. The good news is that we generally have heaps of notice. Our typhoons come across from the Fillipines who have very good typhoon monitoring systems in place. Check when you are in Ho Chi Minh, with four days notice if there is a typhoon on the horizon it's predicted path will already have been tracked (subject to change of course), but if there is a chance I really would advise you against coming here - which is when your plan B can be put into action.

Fingers crossed we'll be lucky this year - but it's far better to be prepared.

melbourne
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calling all experts- Would you stay in Hoi An 3-7th Nov ?

Awesome info- I love the trip advisor community!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calling all experts- Would you stay in Hoi An 3-7th Nov ?

Yeah justthe3ofus2010

Kirby offers really good info. I was in Hoi an in early November 2011 and it was bright and sunny but the ancient town was being inundated from floodwater from Thailand etc... I have never seen such a an amazing sight as the locals adapted and overcame this natural occurence. It is, and will remain, my top highlight of Vietnam and the resilience of it's people.

Mark

10. Re: Calling all experts- Would you stay in Hoi An 3-7th Nov ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 20:16