We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking scam???

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
leeds
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
parking scam???

Last night I parked my motorbike in a 'parking lot' by the river. I got my ticket and the guy mumbled something about 10oclock.

I returned to get my bike at midnight but it was no longer there. A local barman asked me what I was looking for when I told him my motorbike was missing he assured me that the attendant will have taken it home for safe keeping and will return it tonight. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
295 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: parking scam???

Maybe that guy said you have to pick up your motorbike before 10pm. I think he has taken your motorbike to his house for safety. You can either ask the locals about his address or wait until the parking lot opened.

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
800 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: parking scam???

This is not a scam, when you pay for someone to look after your bike that is what they do - he mentioned 10pm, which would have been the time you needed to collect or move your bike. If you didn't he would still be responsible for it and would therefore take it to his house to make sure it was not stolen when he left. It's a pretty good service for 5,000VND and probably saves a lot of people from driving home drunk.

Normally when you return the next day the guy (or someone nearby) will reunite you with your bike.

It would be good if you were to post the results of your experience here, especially if the above was not the case to help advise other travellers.

jacksonville
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: parking scam???

Why are you riding a Motorbike anyway? Do you have a Vietnamese Motorcycle License? If not you are braking the law and they should keep your bike.... but they will bring it back in the morning.

leeds
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: parking scam???

Thankfully this is not a scam and we were reunited with our bike. It was unfortunately not as simple as just going back the next day to collect it and took till 11pm and speaking to several parking attendants, bar staff, police and anyone else that would listen to us to get it back. This is a lesson learnt, when they say 10pm they mean 10pm.

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
800 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: parking scam???

Ouch! That was a long day.

The best thing to do in those cases to save a similar experience is to speak to the person you hired the bike from before you go back to the bike park, they'll send someone along with you that will be able to translate for you, track down the evening attendant and return your bike to you quickly.

Failing that go to the nearest ticket booth and ask them to help you. All the booths now have a member of staff that speaks good English and they will sort it out for you so long as you still have the parking ticket.

6. Re: parking scam???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Hoi An