We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in local peoples streets.

England, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels in local peoples streets.

I am a 73 year old man from England. In recent years I have been visiting Hanoi a city which I love very much. During my time there I have made friends with local people and hopefully I will be back in Hanoi in 2014.

Whilst there I thought I might go to Da Nang for five nights.

I like to stay in a hotel on streets where local people live and eat. I like to eat with locals mostly street food, drink beer with them and also drink tea with them when sold on the street. I do not wish because of may age wish to be out at night with tourists who like to be in rowdy areas going from bar to bar.

Could some kind person please advise me of hotels in areas of Da Nang

where I could stay in the areas I have outlined

Thank you for any reply.

1. Re: Hotels in local peoples streets.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 December 2013, 02:35
Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels in local peoples streets.

Hi shirazman,

I am a regular to Danang,( every year for 15 years ) and I would like to suggest the Rainbow Hotel in Bach Dang Street. This is a small, clean, inexpensive hotel which is family run. I have stayed there many times. Like you, I travel alone and I get great pleasure mixing with the local VN people.

Bach Dang Street is the main street that runs parallel to the Han River. It is a beautiful Boulevarded street, where the locals exercise in the very early mornings and famiies walk the very wide,uncluttered footpaths at night.

The hotel is 100 metres from the Han Markets, Back Dang is parallel to Than Phu, which has a multitude of little VN places to sit, eat and drink your coffee and tea. Being alone, it seems only to a few minutes, and somebody will want to talk to you! There are also and number of cross streets for good Vietnamese food.

If you feel the desire to chat with a foreigner, you can go to " Christies", diagonally opposite the Han Markets. " Christies " was once owned by Bob Christie , a ex US serviceman , who had the original down on Bach Dang Street.

Danangese , are generally nice people, it is not a tourist town ( they are not interested ), and without doubt, Danang is the most progressive and well planned city in Vietnam. They have a strong concept for environment protection ( despite the fact they have ruined My Khe Beach from what it was in the early days) It has numerous parks and nice gardens, and I can enjoy a week there anytime.

You will notice a marked difference from Hanoi Cuisine, where the food can be a little fatty and cooked fast. Central VN food is cooked very slowly with a lot of herbs and spices and it can be hot with chilli.

Taxis are generally honest, and riding around as a pillion rider is quite easy.

Danang has some remarkable bridges , 7+ railway bridge, 4 of which have been built in recent years. If you like a bit of music ( jazz and the like ) , there are a large number of these that are not populated by the " rowdy " crowd.

I hope that this might be some help to you.

Enjoy your trip!

plover

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,652 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels in local peoples streets.

Don't miss the brand new Dragon Bridge - ask your hotel about the lighting schedule (quite impressive)

…vietnamnet.vn/fms/society/70067/inauguratio…

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels in local peoples streets.

Yes!---I failed to mention the Dragon Bridge. As an Old Civil Engineer, I find this is a marvellous example of " Engineering Architecture. It is a " Cable Hung" bridge , very aesthetic in its design. I have worked with Vietnamese Engineers, and they have a great talent with bridge design.

I also failed to add a couple of things , that Danang has at least 2 very good " Fixed Price" supermarkets where you can shop. At night time, if you can get up high to the roofs of some of the hotels, the lighting of the City is nothing short of spectacular.

Be sure to take a trip up in the cable car to Ba Na hill station ( 3 years ago, the longest, fastest in the world---climbs 1400 metres in elevation over a distance of 5 kilometres in 20 minutes ). The view from here, is again spectacular, where you look south to Marble Mountain / Hoi An, eastwards to the Song Tra peninsula and northwards to the daunting peaks of Hai Van on the way to Thuan Hue Province.

Of the 60+ provinces of Vietnam , there are only 2 Municipalties ( Can Tho and Danang ), and the government tightly controls things there. There has been of recent years massive expenditure on infrastructure, huge Hospitals, and Schools, or which the Danangese are proud.

And Lastly, Danang gets very hot in the Summer months ( May to August ), which I personally enjoy, and from September through to November, it is one of the 3 main cities in Central VN, that is Typhoon prone ( Hue and Hoi An being the other 2 ).

plover

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels in local peoples streets.

shirazman,

And before the cynics arrive, and start " bagging" the City, Danang has attracted business and finance investment from a large number of Australia's Biggest and most reputable Companies.

The Head of the Government of the Municipality of Danang is a man who is well educated and trusted., one of the few places in Vietnam where one can do fair business and get all the assistance they can give!

Sorry about the multiple posting, but this should give a fair picture of how to enjoy this City!

I hope you have a great time.

plover

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels in local peoples streets.

OK Plover.

You have convinced me to spend some time in Danang in March.

Not sure about the cable car though. Any thoughts on Vietnamese skills at cable-car engineering?

Regards, DG

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels in local peoples streets.

"Any thoughts on Vietnamese skills at cable-car engineering?"

Why limit the question to cable-cars? I have absolutely no faith in Vietnamese engineering whatsoever. Been spending the last 4 weeks getting leaking windows, outer walls, toilet seats fixed. Just returned the third wifi router in 4 days, because none of them worked after having been serviced by "engineers". Am using my neighbour's wifi (they foolish left the password the same as their ssid).

No, no faith. At all.

Edited: 06 December 2013, 06:58
Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels in local peoples streets.

DG,

To ease your fears, the Ba Na cable car was built by a consortium of companies. The Project Management and Design and Construction were in the hands of a Large Danish Company who employed VN engineers and construction staff and trained them, the cables were manufactured by an Austrian Company, and the mechanical systems were made by a well known Swiss " Ski Lift " company.

To give credit where credit is due, the VN people did a remarkable job from concept to completion to allow this to happen.

It's a truly fabulous ride, and the climb over the last kilometre takes your breathe away. In the summer months, you experience a temperature drop from 40C to 15C in 20 minutes , so toss in your pullover.

As a small aside, Ba Na Hill Station was built as a respite from the heat for the French Government officials in colonial times who in the hot months were carried by sweating VN labour up to the top over a period of days, much like Poona in India, Penang Hill in Penang, and other territorial outposts. All government business for central VN was controlled from there.

Have a look!

plover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5vVUV7S_tQ

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels in local peoples streets.

Jim,

Your problems have little to do with " Engineering per se ", you have just bought accommodation in a poorly built block with little quality control!

VN engineers, I will reiterate are highly skilled men and have NOTHING to do with toilet seats,leaking windows and your internet problems!---buyer beware! ---perhaps you should get out your dictionary, and learn the definition of " Engineer "---you are talking VN tradesman!

plover

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels in local peoples streets.

And Jim,

Your problems are hardly of any relevance to the OP's question!

plover

Get answers to your questions about Da Nang