We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas & New Year temps...?

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas & New Year temps...?

Hi everyone

I have never been to Vietnam but have always wanted to as I have heard nothing but amazing things about the country!

We are considering coming over on the 26th December for 2 weeks but was wondering what the weather is like at this time of year? Will it be dry & sunny? What temperature should we expect?

We are looking for an area with local restaurants in walking distance so we can experience some of the wonderful culture I've heard so much about. A nice beach would be preferable as we are from the UK & are trying to escape the cold!

Any advice would be great :)

Thank you

Jane

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas & New Year temps...?

wonderful culture?

Mui Ne will be sunny and windy, price will be double than usual,

do not expect to see sand on the beach after 9am,

the russian will be everywhere (it's so cold in Moscow...)...

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas & New Year temps...?

Jane,

You will be coming to Phan Thiet during the nicest part of the year. Daytime temperatures average around 27 and night time averages around 20. It has only rained once during this time of the year in the eight years I have lived in Phan Thiet.

Maurizio exaggerates and only refers to one area of Ham Tien when he says that there is no beach and it is full of Russians, whereas Phan Thiet covers 60 kilometers of coastline with many beaches. The east end of Ham Tien and the other beaches are much more international and all the resorts on those other beaches always have sand.

You will be able to find plenty of local restaurants in the city center near the Ocean Dunes and Park Diamond. and along Ganh Beach in Mui Ne near the Pandanus and Blue Shell Resorts, but Ham Tien does have the best variety of restaurants just outside the resorts. However, there are some local restaurants along the majority of the Phan Thiet beaches. Even northern Tien Thanh is beginning to develop a restaurant scene that didn't exist in the past..

Most of the larger resorts will have a mandatory New Year's Eve dinner party. Some of them are over priced and a rip off while others are worth the price and throw a great NYE party with good entertainment and food.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,559 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas & New Year temps...?

Great time to travel to this part of Vietnam. Phan Thiet has the driest record in Vietnam and this time of the year as Steve says is perfect to get your sun burn.

I would stay clear of the resort/hotel New Years dinners as they tend to me overpriced particularly for Ham Tien. I would pick a small resort in Ham Tien and eat out at the many restaurants around. Lunch at Jibes is hard to beat as is Joes for dinner and a laidback evening of outdoor music and drinks. On the budget side you would find it hard to spend GBP5 on dinner at Lam Tong.

Don't take much notice of Maurizios dire warnings on sand as he comes from the Med and doesn't understand tides ! Only joking M. There has been a shortage of sand at full tide, over the last year at one part of the beach due to storm erosion but at the other parts there is plenty of wide beach, and around at Steve's neck of the woods the beaches there are great.

Cheers Ross

Edited: 26 June 2014, 09:07
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas & New Year temps...?

It sounds amazing & exactly what we are looking for so thank you all for your advice!

Is there any particular hotels you would recommend? Somewhere we could walk out to local restaurants with a nice beach would be ideal!

Many thanks

Jane

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,559 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas & New Year temps...?

Jane you need to tell us your ideas of what to expect in your accommodation and your budget.

In Ham Tien a small family Resort without Pool but beachfront will cost around $35 per room. (Hiep Hoa.)

A small Resort with Pool will cost around $50.( MuiNe Backpackers)

A Bungalow on the Beach may cost $170 .( Coco Beach)

Just a few comparisons, but please note that these are not for all the Xmas season but are for room not per person.

Suggest you research these as a starter.

Cheers Ross

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas & New Year temps...?

I'll have a look at Coco beach, thanks Ross.

We don't mind paying a bit extra to get somewhere nice. If we're going all that way we might as well make the most of it :)

Thanks again for your help! At least we have finally narrowed it down to Phan Thiet which is a massive step from 'somewhere nice in SE Asia' haha

7. Re: Christmas & New Year temps...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 06:16