We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria worries?

newcastle uk
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria worries?

Hi

I am thinking of coming to Livingstone to see the falls in October and wondered if we needed any innoculations? Is malaria an issue by the falls and would I have to take medication?

Thanks

big island hawaii
Level Contributor
118 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria worries?

check with your doctor about needed shots but yes, you will need anti-malarial pills as Victoria Falls is in a malarial zone.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria worries?

Hi airhostess,

Also going to Livingstone spring 2009, visiting VF so will be getting the inoculations or tablets for malaria as has been recommended. Did you have any after effects when taking inoculations? One lady I did a trip for has informed me she became rather ill for 3 days.

If you will kindly reply I would like to ask you details: ahvolare@hotmail.com

Thanks.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria worries?

Some innoculations can affect you. My only reaction was to the tetanus shot, which left my arm very numb and sore for a while. A friend was very ill on the yellow fever shot. Either way, you won't be as ill as you would be if you are unlucky enough to contract anything. In total I had 19 injections, so find someone who is not a pain monster with needles and it will be fine.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,390 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria worries?

I am not a Medic but NINETEEN injections? Blimey, It sounds as if you won't even get Housemaids Knee!

My Package as recommended by many..

1. Yellow Fever. 1 jab.

2. Combined Hep A & Typhoid (Viatim) 1 shot one boost. 2 jabs six mos apart.

3. Combined Diptheria/Tetanus/Polio. 1 jab

I 'resisted' suggestions that I have Rabies and Hep B as totally unecessary. Doc was worried I may get bitten by a Lion.

This regime has served me well for 20 years.

You can be TOO careful.

Air Hostess. Consult your GP. Read the Bradt Guide chapter on Bugs and Bowels and have a good trip. And don't forget to take your Prophylactics as prescribed.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria worries?

hee hee it sounds like I am a hypochondriac, but believe me far from it. We were doing a transafrica landrover trip, through places like the Sudan and Ethiopia, so we got everything. Was just trying to make a point that if you can inject it, we had it. And some eg rabies, are more than one injection.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria worries?

mfuwe: what about malaria if going to zambia/vf?

thanks,

ahvolare@hotmail.com

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,390 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria worries?

Defintely Malarial area that's why I closed with

"And don't forget to take your Prophylactics as prescribed."

although I was most concerned with someone having an armful of 19 needles. Sounded more like Acupuncture than innoculations.

Best.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria worries?

prevention is the best cure, take bug spray! and not european strength, tropical strength. the amount of bad reactions to mozzie bites I saw (not even malaria) on UK ppl who have not been around mosquitoes their whole life was scary (looked like wasp stings!)

Sevenoaks, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria worries?

I'm booked to go to Victoria Falls beginning of July but have just found I'm pregnant... any advice on what to do re, malaria tablets?? Thanks

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,170 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria worries?

Hi, Larium is the only prophylaxis recommended for use during pregnancy, other than the older type, chloroquine/paludrine, which are now pretty well inefective.

You should consult your GP before taking any medication.

Vic fall is a malarious area at all times. Use plenty of strong insect repellant at all times when out. Cover bare skin at evening time. Use mozy nets at night.

Ivan