We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the heliport? In Zim or Zam?

Which Livingstone hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Where is the heliport? In Zim or Zam?

Hi,

I'm planning a visit to Victoria Falls in May, staying in Livingstone. We would love to take a helicopter flight over the falls but have to confirm one thing first: is the heliport in Zambia? and will we need to cross the border post to Zimbabwe at all for this? (hence, requiring a Zimbabwe visa).

This is important for us because unfortunately Zimbabwe doesn't issue visas at border post for our nationality and the procedure to obtain one beforehand is too troublesome for us since they don't have a consulate in our country. Hence we have chosen to visit from the Zambian side where visa on arrival is not a problem. So if this heli ride involves us crossing the border to Zim to take it, then we won't be able to go.

Also does anyone know if there's a lunar rainbow tour from the Zambian side? Our visit corresponds with the full moon so would love to experience this as well.

Many thanks in advance!!!

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
46 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the heliport? In Zim or Zam?

You can do the helicopter flight from the Zambia side, there is no need for you to cross over into Zimbabwe. Contact a company called Batoka sky for the helicopter booking

San Francisco
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the heliport? In Zim or Zam?

Am there now. There are two companies that helicopter rides: United and Batoka Sky., both on Zambia side. I did the helicopter ride with United and

the Microlight with Batoka Sky. The United helicopter seats 6- a 3-3 configuration. There were 4 people on ours. The current prices are

$140 for 12 minutes or $280 for 25 minutes plus a 5% surcharge if you

use a credit card which they had to manually do.

Overall I'm more impressed with Batoka Sky as a company. Our ride

with United was rushed and only 20 minutes, the pilot didn't the rapids

in the preflight briefing and summarily circled a herd of buffalo. With the

more expensive than Manhattan rates I just felt ripped off...which is in huge

contrast to the microlight-which is safer. If you can do this option that is

the one to go for. We flew lower, more info and interaction with the pilot,

flew over a 50 strong herd of elephants, many in the river, giraffes, wildebeast. The cost for half an hour was $270, and I payed a 3.5% surcharge at my hotel...

With the helicopter you can take your own camera and shoot video especially if you are in the front right(you won't get a choice). I found my pics

were hurried and tried from the left window back... The microlight doesn't allow cameras for safety reasons but they have a camera strapped to the left wing which takes around 100+ pics and they add their own of the falls in varius stages which they put on a CD for $20. United sold a DVD with a camera in cabin which really gets the center front the most for $20 as well

which I didn't get. The batoka sky heli seemed to seat 4 passengers but am not sure... again highly recommend the microlight.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the heliport? In Zim or Zam?

PS: both companies will pick you up from your hotel and drop you off after.

4. Re: Where is the heliport? In Zim or Zam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about Livingstone