We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to protect valuables

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
33 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
How to protect valuables

I need an advice from those who experienced activities in Victoria Falls. We are going to stay in a backpackers place in Livingstone. How to keep valuables during whole day trips (for example in jet boat trip or Livingstone Island)? Do they get wet? How they can be protected if it is not safe to leave in a hotel? Thank you

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
318 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to protect valuables

Easiest answer? Don't bring it.

But if you're talking about cameras, then consider investing in a waterproof/underwater camera.

You didn't mention what time of year you're going to visit Victoria Falls. I went at the end of May 2011 and I got DRENCHED while walking across the pedestrian bridge on the Zambia side. With that said, they have rental ponchos and raincoats for a very cheap price (I think it's $1USD). It will keep your camera fairly dry, but you should put it in a giant ziplock bag. Put your passport in the ziplock bag too (you have to bring it with you if you want to visit the Zimbabwe side).

This is the bridge I'm talking about: victoriafalls24.com/2011/…

As for keeping it safe in the hostel/hotel, if you don't have access to a secure safe then lock your valuables inside your suitcase every time you lave the room. You might want to bring something like a bike lock/chain to hook your luggage together and to heavy furniture. Of course, if someone is really determined to steal your stuff then they'll slash open your luggage (unless you have a hardcover suitcase).

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to protect valuables

As you didn't state what you are trying to protect, it's hard to offer good suggestions. if it is passport/money/credit cards, you could consider a personal "safe" (you wear them):

www.woodsmall.com/money-pouches-safes.htm

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
33 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to protect valuables

Thanks, SafariInfo

4. Re: How to protect valuables

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 12:18