We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Livingstone or Jo'burg (Kruger safari)

Which Livingstone hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
293 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Livingstone or Jo'burg (Kruger safari)

I've booked a Botswana and Vic Falls tour for next year. It starts late enough in my work holiday where I have a few extra days to fill before the trip. I've found two extension options that are in my budget- an extended visit to Livingstone (my tour budgets a day), and a Kruger safari in Jo'burg. I'm torn between wanting to cover the most ground and seeing what I'm booked to see in depth (Livingstone).

If I were to go to Livingstone, I wouldn't do elephant riding, booze cruises, or bungee jumping. I might try Zambezi rafting (although I would love an honest take on the realities of flipping into water that choppy. I suppose the general lack of rocks on which I could be smashed and the requirement to wear a vest means more safety for me, but...), I'd also consider the lion walk with a conservation-oriented company, and I'd check out Chobe with a reputable company.

If I were to go to Jo'burg I'd focus on Kruger. I'm interested in Wild Wings' 5-day Kruger and Lowveld.

I'm no closer to making decisions. Based on what I've outlined here, any thoughts?

Belleair, Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Livingstone or Jo'burg (Kruger safari)

We were just in Kruger and Livingstone in May. When we were in Kruger we stayed at a private game reserve called Savanna Lodge in Sabi Sands. It was fabulous and we saw tons of animals. We were told that if you don't go into a private reserve you won't see as many animals. The private game rangers can go off road and track the animals. The national park rangers are required to stay on the roads, aren't allowed to go off road and track, therefore limiting your sitings. I believe there are all different price ranges in the private reserves.

In Livingstone we rode the elephants in the morning and walked with 3 lion cubs in the afternoon. Both were done at the same location and to contact them go to Lion Encounter Livingstone, Zambia. They have a return to the wild program and it truly was two of the highlights of our trip. Plus, I think if you book the two together, you get a discount. Have a great time!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
76 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Livingstone or Jo'burg (Kruger safari)

In Livingstone, if you want to have a real environmentally friendly experience and also get up close an personl with some animals, I recommend Mukuni Big 5 Safaris. They are a tourist and conservation organization and they are very open and honest about all their conservation policies and plans. You can also do a rhino walk with their sister company, if you might enjoy something like that.

http://www.mukunibig5.co.zm

3. Re: Livingstone or Jo'burg (Kruger safari)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Livingstone
Recent Conversations