We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel cards and australian dollars

Which Livingstone hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Launceston...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Travel cards and australian dollars

I may be over-thinking things but ... We are Australians flying to Livingstone via 4 hours at J'berg Airport in April 14. The varieties of travel cards from banks dont allow you to load Rand or Kwacha. If we load Australian Dollars on our travel cards and use them at an ATM in Zambia (Livingstone), I assume we get Kwacha as a result. I am also assuming that the ATMs accept these cards loaded with Australian dollars. Am I correct??? Thanks everyone

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,588 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel cards and australian dollars

I'm not sure anyone is going to be able to answer this without more info. In general, if a card has a VISA symbol on it, the chances are it would be accepted. But I wouldn't travel anywhere in Africa (except probably South Africa) without a decent amount of cash, preferably in US$ although £ or Euros are also readily exchangeable. Not AU$ though.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel cards and australian dollars

Carry a decent amount of USD. ATMs that work are few and far between. Make sure you have both visa and MasterCard cash cards as one type often won't work.

USD is king and accepted for exchange everywhere, but you will need to pay for things in Zambian Kwatcha.

Launceston...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel cards and australian dollars

Thanks guys x

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel cards and australian dollars

<<but you will need to pay for things in Zambian Kwatcha.>>

Fortunately no longer the case, the restricting, and tourist unfriendly regulation has be revoked. So, Forex is now once again acceptable, although you will need some Kwacha for small value purchases. Visa is by far the most acceptable, MasterCard/Amex often not.

See a recent post by Bwanadave.

Ivan

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel cards and australian dollars

Westpac Bank now has a visa travel moneycard

that allows Rand to be loaded.

6. Re: Travel cards and australian dollars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2015, 06:16