We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Livingstone to Kasane - Alternatives to costly transfer?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Livingstone to Kasane - Alternatives to costly transfer?

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I will be in Livingstone on June 3 and 4, and we need to be either at the Botswana border or in Kasane by June 5th at 11:00am for a safari.

We have already looked into direct transfers with several different companies, but they are a bit out of our budget at US$60+ per person for an 1.5 hour drive.

Does anyone have any experience with an alternative? The most information I could find online is that there are buses that go from Livingstone to Kazungula, and then one must take a ferry to cross into Botswana. How feasible is that option for a couple of young non-local travellers? Does anyone have any more details about taking a bus or a cab/taxi to Kazungula from Livingstone? Any tips and insight is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Stephie

Seattle
Level Contributor
147 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Livingstone to Kasane - Alternatives to costly transfer?

My son and I recently did this in the reverse direction. We did use the $60 transfer service, because it was a 60 mile taxi ride on to Livingstone. And we were worried about the taxi charges for that ride. The border itself is easy, just follow the crowd into each border post. The ZAM side is under construction, with dirt loaders, graders and long distance trucks lined up to cross. So be careful. You would walk onto the ferry, each carring one or 2 trucks, and stand by the rail for the short crossing. On the Kasane side it is just a few miles to the city. If you can get a bus from Livingstone to the border crossing, I would do it yourself. I would email one of the backpackers places for advice about the bus.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Livingstone to Kasane - Alternatives to costly transfer?

We ended up doing the Livingstone to Kasane transfer on our own, and thankfully so because it was much, much cheaper than the organized transfer for $70 USD per person.

It was fairly simple. We had a very helpful taxi driver take us from our hostel in Livingstone to the Kazungula border post/ferry port (Zambia-Botswana). He helped us change money before crossing and get our tickets for the ferry. The drive to the border from Livingstone is around an hour and a half and cost us around $25 CAD.

The ferry ticket price is negligible, about a buck each. It takes around 10-15 minutes to cross to the other side, no problems.

We had to wait for a while for a taxi on the other side after crossing into Botswana, but eventually a combi came by and we bought it out for around $5 CAD.

All in all, it was simple and cost effective, coming in at about $32 CAD for both of us. That was from the door of our hostel in Livingstone to our meeting place in Kasane. I would strongly recommend against wasting your money on the organized transfers. They are way overpriced.

Cordoba, Argentina
Level Contributor
5 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Livingstone to Kasane - Alternatives to costly transfer?

Hi! I will cross this border on July, Does anyone know if there is a closing time to cross the border, is it open 24 hours? And how much will it be a taxi from Livingstone airport to Kazungula Ferry? or is there a van? thanks.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
36 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Livingstone to Kasane - Alternatives to costly transfer?

Do you perhaps have the details of the taxi driver who to took you to the border from Livingstone? If not, where can we find the taxi rank?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Livingstone to Kasane - Alternatives to costly transfer?

Hi how much was the safari? Am looking for a simple game drive or cruise. Everything is so over priced. Gosh

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Livingstone to Kasane - Alternatives to costly transfer?

Ehezve, the thread is over a year and a half old ! You are better off private messaging the OP.

Do your research and yes, Zambia is pricey.

Edited: 09 November 2015, 05:41
Finland
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Livingstone to Kasane - Alternatives to costly transfer?

What I know it should be possible to get a shared taxi to Kazungula from the main taxi rank in Livingstone. Alternatively there is a bus station some 1.5 km west Livingstone from where I could take a bus towards Sesheke (these probably don't go to Kazungula, but stop at the turn off).

Anyone has experiences with these options?

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Livingstone to Kasane - Alternatives to costly transfer?

Hi,

Does anyone know when is the last ferry to cross over to get to kasane from Livingstone?

Also if you get there by shared taxi ,are there different ferrys for pedestrians versus having a vehicle?

Thanks

Rajeev

9. Re: Livingstone to Kasane - Alternatives to costly transfer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2017, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Livingstone