We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plans realistic?

Which Livingstone hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Holland
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Plans realistic?

Coming August we will stay in Livingstone in the Maramba Lodge for two nights. We have some ideas about what we want to do, but are not certain everything is realistic. Do we want to cram too much in twee days?

These are our plans for now.

Day 1

• Arrival at Livingstone Airport at 12.30

• Transport to and check in in Lodge

• Taxi to Royal Livingstone Hotel for High tea in the (say at about 15.30 or 16.00) and sundowner on the deck

• Afterwards walk to the Zambezi Sun Hotel to watch the Dancing around Zambia show that starts at 20.00 (Is the walk safe? Is the show worthwhile?)

• Transport (taxi) back to lodge

Day 2

• Helicopter flight

• See the falls from the Zambian and the Zimbabwean side (Which side should we do first?)

• After the falls trip to do the “Ultimate River Cruise Experience” with Victoria Falls River Safaris or Livingstone Island and Devil’s Pool (if open). Which would be more advisable?

Or maybe just do a sunset cruise?

Please advise!

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,114 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plans realistic?

I personally wouldn't do anything at the RL. I'd prefer something more local and authentic, say the little museum in Livingstone which we loved or a game drive through the park.

I haven't been to the Zambesi Sun but it is a big hotel which is popular with tour groups and for conferences so any entertainment may be very touristy.

We very much enjoyed the helicopter flight on our first trip, and I consider the Livingstone Island trip ( which leaves from the RL hotel , although not run by them) as one of the best things I have done anywhere on the planet. We did it on our second visit which was in early April when the water was high. I don't know how it would be in August.

Holland
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plans realistic?

Thanks for your reply Brittraveler! We will reconsider our plans. Can you please comment on the planning? For instance the time we will have left after clearing customs and getting to the lodge on the first afternoon.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Plans realistic?

Livingstone Airport is really small. You'll probably be through immigration and customs and at your lodge about 1 hour after your arrival time depending on where you are seated on the plane. Plenty of time to freshen up and get to Royal Livingstone for high tea and sundowners. You should consider dinner at the restaurant there. Pretty good and not horribly overpriced.

I wouldn't bother with visiting the Zambezi Sun. I don't even know if they still do that show you mentioned. Nothing was scheduled when we were there. If you must visit, use the Royal Livingstone/Zambezi Sun shuttle at night. The walk is only about 1 km, but the path isn't well lit. Although it's not dangerous from a crime standpoint, there are animals roaming the grounds.

The helicopter flight doesn't take much time. From hotel pick-up to drop off, it only takes about an hour total.

Livingstone Island wasn't open when we went, so I can't give you any advice on that. However, I was told that if it's open when you there, it is a must-do. The river cruises are on large boats popular with the older crowd that takes you on the Zambezi for drinks and nice views at sunset a slow pace. The more interesting option is a "river safari" on a smaller boat that gets closer to the shore to view animals. They also include unlimited drinks in the price and have sunset times. Cost is the same as the large boat cruise.

I don't think it matters whether you go to the Zim or Zam falls park first. Each takes about 2-3 hours, so you'll be in for a very full day if you want to visit both, do the helicopter ride, and a river excursion. Unless high tea and sundowners at the Royal Livingstone are really high on your list, you might be better off doing something active on the first afternoon to maximize your time.

Holland
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plans realistic?

Thanx Dodge_This for your extensive answer.

We actually have a day and a half to spend so we have some possibilties to juggle our options.

According to Tongabezi the Devil's Pool will still be closed when we are there. Too bad!!!

The river safari sounds interesting. We will definitely look into that..

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plans realistic?

When I went in late August the Devils Pool had only just opened. It could open early depending on water levels, but I'd be surprised if it was in early August.

You're plan sounds good, I didn't do the helicopter, instead I did the microlight which was amazing. I did the 15 minute one. Another in my group did the helicopter and said that they took turns looking out or that they would have preferred the openness of the microlight, but everyone is different. The Microlight is cheaper too.

I would personally take taxis to and from the town as we were told it wasn't safe due to wild animals. Plus there was a shooting out there in a hostel or something when we were there, but that is a very very rare thing there. We found the locals to be so friendly, take time to browse the markets and talk to the locals, this was actually one of my highlights.

Zambian side will be low level water, so for a fuller view you'd need the Zimbabwe side, but I'd do the Zambian side first as it's still pretty impressive, then decide if you want to see more or not.

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip.

6. Re: Plans realistic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Livingstone
Recent Conversations