We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zambia/Zimbabwae side for accomodation?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Zambia/Zimbabwae side for accomodation?

Hi,

My friend and I are flying into Livingstone a few days before we leave on our tour. I was wondering whats the best side to see the falls from, in regards to accommodation. Would like to stay on the Zambia side as the tour leaves from there, but also want to stay near the best access point and location to restuarants etc?

Is it hassle to cross the border between the two countries?

Thanks

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Zambia/Zimbabwae side for accomodation?

On the Livingstone side there are hotels right by the falls eg the Avani and the Royal Livingstone, where you can walk through the grounds to the falls- so very convenient for access to the falls. You can then walk across the border to the Zim side and view the falls from there. However, this area is not good for "access to restaurants" (apart from those in the hotels themselves), as for that you would probably need Livingstone town which is separate from the falls, but a short taxi away.

On the Zim side everything is a bit more compact, with the town being right next to the falls.

To be honest though, if you are flying into Livingstone and your tour leaves from Livingstone, seems to me like it would make more sense to stay there. Crossing the border on foot is easy, if you are just going over to see the falls from the other side. But if you want to go by taxi (with luggage) you need one taxi to the border, then cross the border on foot, then another taxi on the other side. Or a pre-arranged transfer will be in two separate vehicles. So it is a bit of a hassle

United States
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zambia/Zimbabwae side for accomodation?

It is not a hassle to cross between the 2 countries, just go through immigration on the 1 side, then walk across the bridge and go through immigration on the other side. If you want to stay on the Zambia side, the Royal Livingstone (expensive) and the Avani (less expensive) are right by the falls and the border, and are connected hotels as far as allowing you to go back and forth between the 2 properties through the hotel transport service in golf carts. There is also a visitor center there, but restaurants will be limited to the ones in the hotels. The restaurant at RL overlooks the grounds and Zambezi River where resident Zebra usually are eating the grass. The food and drink prices are reasonable for a high end hotel.

There really is no "town" type area but you could take a cab to Livingstone to eat. Though keep in mind that cabs are not cheap in Zambia, it's about a 15-20 minute ride into Livingstone so not close by, and many people do not want to be driving after dark. You could also easily cross over to the Zimbabwe side if you want to catch a bite in Vic Falls town and cabs are readily available at the border there if you don't want to walk. You can negotiate price. It should only cost a 2 or 3 USD to be dropped off in town a few seconds away. The Zimbabwe side will offer a lot of restaurants and areas to explore but it will be more expensive and you'll need a visa. If you are able to get the uni visa, you can cross back and forth between the 2 countries as much as you'd like. If you can afford the Avani or RL I'd highly recommend just staying there.

Edited: 27 May 2017, 13:39
Victoria Falls...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Zambia/Zimbabwae side for accomodation?

Hi, just to add on on what has been said, make sure you get kaza visa to make it easier & cheap to cross the borders between the countries. In terms of view Zimbabwe has 90% & Zambia 10% view of the falls.

Best wishes.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Zambia/Zimbabwae side for accomodation?

Hi

We stayed in Zimbabwe and Zambia so I would like to add my opinion. Vic Falls has a lot more tourist feel and much more to choose from when it comes to accommodation and restaurants. Livingstone is definitely not a tourist town, you could basically be anywhere, there is no special feel about it, nor is it near the falls. We had stayed in Vic Falls, then went to Hwange, then from there over the border to Zambia for one night as we were to catch a bus to Namibia from there. It took probably 45 minutes to get over the bridge and through immigration. We also on our stay in Vic Falls walked over the bridge to Zambia and had lunch at the lookout cafe. That was a special day pass but did not permit us overnight and was easy enough to get. If I was staying for a few nights I would do Vic Falls and perhaps the last night in Zambia so you don't have to worry about immigration on your tour departure day.

5. Re: Zambia/Zimbabwae side for accomodation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2018, 03:18
Get answers to your questions about Victoria Falls