We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3N at VF or include a night at chobe national park?

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Topic
3N at VF or include a night at chobe national park?

Hi,

I'm traveling with my sister to Victoria falls and we are booking an agent to help us. The itinerary suggested was 3 nights at Avani victoria falls. But I read reviews that 2 nights is good enough for Victoria falls, hence I thought of staying a night Chobe national park. Recommended places: Chobe Elephant camp, Chobe Chilwero, Chobe Game Lodge but the places are not cheap. Is it worth the stay? Or should i just stay in Victoria falls and just have day trip at chobe national park.

itinerary:

day 1: fly in from Cape town to Johannesburg to Livingstone.

afternoon: Zambezi Explorer sunset cruise

day 2: tour Victoria Falls (zambian side)

day 3: tour Chobe National Park

day 4: depart to home.

Thank you!

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
486 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3N at VF or include a night at chobe national park?

At least one night in Chobe is highly recommended if you are after wildlife viewing. I visited Chobe twice and always enjoyed our stay. You will see many wildlife from land and from boat

West Australia
Level Contributor
557 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3N at VF or include a night at chobe national park?

Hi Ping,

I would suggest staying all three nights at Avani in Livingstone and just do the day trip to Chobe.

Moving to Chobe for just one night means that you will use up a fair amount of your "Chobe day" checking out and checking in to lodges/hotels. Also if you are flying out from Livingstone again, you will have the hassle of checking out of your lodge in Chobe, getting to the river crossing at Kazungula, going through Botswana/Zambia customs and immigration, getting from Kazungula to Livingstone airport in time for your flight (and hoping that there is no delay at any of those points)... Do it if you like stress :0]

However if you are able to add more days to the Victoria Falls/Livingstone/Chobe part of your trip, I would recommend it.

Edited: 28 August 2017, 02:35
Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3N at VF or include a night at chobe national park?

I see, thanks for the advise!

West Australia
Level Contributor
557 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3N at VF or include a night at chobe national park?

BTW, what month of the year will you be at Victoria Falls?

There are quite a few activities that you can do in Livingstone, but some of them are dependant on the water level of the Zambezi River (which is dependant on the time of year and how much rain there has been) - for example Livingstone Island and Devil's Pool.

Victoria Falls...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3N at VF or include a night at chobe national park?

Hi, you have a nice itinerary which l suggest you keep it that way without rushing yourself.

I guess you will be doing your Zambezi Explore cruise on the Zimbabwe side if so, you have to bear extra visa costs if you change your itinerary which is good for the three neighbouring countries. If you do a day trip to Chobe you will only need a kaza visa to cover all your border crossings between all three countries but if you change your itinerary to spend a night in Chobe in Botswana you will have to get another visa if you are flying out from Zambia.

All the best.

My Way Taxis Victoria Falls.

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3N at VF or include a night at chobe national park?

Ill be there in early nov.

Oooh..visa...looks like its good to just stay at VF.

Thank you!

West Australia
Level Contributor
557 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3N at VF or include a night at chobe national park?

Ok, in November the water levels at the falls will be at their lowest, so it would probably be worth your while going across to view them from both the Zambian and Zimbabwean sides (the water flow is stronger on the Zimbabwe side in the dry season). To do this you should get a Kaza visa on arrival in Livingstone - this allows you to enter and leave both Zimbabwe and Botswana from Zambia (as long as you return to Zambia the same day you left).

As the water levels are low, this opens up the possibility of other activities that are not available when the water is high - such as visit to Livingstone Island and Devil's Pool.

Also consider activities such as the river boat safaris (small boats that do game viewing along the Zambezi river), elephant back safaris (from Thorntree Lodge), Livingstone Museum, Mukuni Cultural Village and markets... Livingstone has a lot to offer...

Whichever reviews that you read saying that 2 days was enough for Victoria Falls and Livingstone were not written by people with much imagination :0]

United States
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3N at VF or include a night at chobe national park?

I am assuming that you are from Singapore since that's what it shows under your name? I think (but am not 100% sure) that you do not require any visas for Zambia, Zimbabwe or Botswana so you might want to verify if that is correct. If that is the case then you could easily stay in Botswana if you wanted to without worrying about visa costs but I think the day trip is sufficient and is a great option to get a feel for the country in such a short stay. You'll get a road and a water safari plus lunch in between and transfers to/from your hotel. It is only around 1.5 hours from the Avani and is worth the adventure, imo. Also, as mywaytaxis pointed out, your sunset cruise is from Zimbabwe. Since you are staying in Zambia (if you choose the Avani) I'd just recommend making sure you have your transfers set in advance.

Edited: 30 August 2017, 13:11
West Australia
Level Contributor
557 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3N at VF or include a night at chobe national park?

Ping

I had not noticed in your first post that you were doing a sunset cruise from the Zimbabwe side while staying at the Avani in Zambia. I would highly recommend that you switch from the Zimbabwean sunset cruise to one of the Zambian operated sunset cruises (this will save you a lot of unnecessary hassle!)

Some of the Zambian ones (which operate in the same river obviously as the Zimbabwean ones) are:

The Lady Livingstone; or

The African Queen

10. Re: 3N at VF or include a night at chobe national park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2018, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about Victoria Falls