We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Falls

Durban...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria Falls

which is the better side to stay on Zambia or Zimbabwe?

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
893 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria Falls

Hi Mike

This is a longe debated question, please have a look at this webpage for some pros and cons for each side.

victoriafalls-guide.net/zambia-or-zimbabwe.h…

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria Falls

We stayed on Zambia side and just went to Zim side for an afternoon. I think the Zambia side is much cheaper and there a lot of cool adventure (like bungee jumping etc) activities to do on the Zambia side. We did the cheetah interaction which was very fun. The Falls in June 2013 were much better on the Zambia side so I would stay there. You can take a taxi to get out to the Falls. Zimbabwe is ruled by a dictator who skims off all the visa money etc for himself so I wouldn't want to contribute to his coffers. I can recommend the Green Tree Lodge which was about $80/night. Jolly BackPacker or something like that was the option for cheaper accommodation.

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
893 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria Falls

Just to clarify in order for you to make an informed desicion on the correct information. Zambia on the whole is actually MORE expensive than Zimbabwe, plus if you are staying in any of the Livingstone lodges like Green Tree Lodge or Jollyboys, transfers to the activities are not included which means you need to add on transfer or taxi costs. In Zimbabwe because the town is situated so much closer to the Falls collection and drop off from your hotel is included in the activity price.

Adventure activities like the bungi jumping can be done from either country, and most activities are available on either side except for the cheetah interaction, microlighting and the Livingstone island tour/ Devils swim which are only available in Zambia.

The views of the Falls are lovely from Zambia and especially from Livingstone island, but it is important to note that 70% of the Falls are on the Zimbabwean side and anytime from late September through to early December the Falls in Zambia have just about completely dried up.

Visa fees have to be paid for in both countries and I am not sure that it is a fair statement to say that in Zimbabwe these go straight into the Presidents pocket.

West Australia
Level Contributor
514 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria Falls

As BP mentions it is mainly dependant on the time of the year. When the river levels are high (January to August) the difference between the two sides are marginal and can be summarised IMO as: Zimbabwe = more & wider vista, Zambia = closer to water face and more interesting view.

5. Re: Victoria Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Victoria Falls