We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to and staying at Victoria Falls

Amsterdam, The...
11 posts
Save Topic
Getting to and staying at Victoria Falls

Hi all,

I am planning a brief trip to the VF in October (I know it's the dry season but I'd like to to go and see it!). I plan to arrive late on a Friday evening and to go to the falls the next day and go back to Lusaka on Sunday. So it's only a 2 day/ 1 night trip..

Is this do-able considering time to travel to VF?

Hope to hear from you all...

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to and staying at Victoria Falls

It is doable, I assume you plan to fly from Lusaka to Livingstone? Be aware that on the Zambia side the falls will be completely dry, you will just see a rock wall. If your time allows, I would recommend crossing the border into Zimbabwe to see the falls from the Zimbabwe side during this time.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Amsterdam, The...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to and staying at Victoria Falls

Hi Onne,

Thanks for the reply! I haven't decided yet on taking the plane or bus. From what I've found on the internet the bus ride is about 6 hours, so a plane might be better :) I haven't looked yet for cheap flights but I'm sure that shouldn't be a problem...

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to and staying at Victoria Falls

Try proflight. Since you only have 1 night available, I would recommend flying rather than a long bus trip.

Amsterdam, The...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to and staying at Victoria Falls

Hi Onne,

Thanks once again. I'm thinking about perhaps skipping the VF after all, it will probably be quite an expensive trip for only 1 night there to see a dried up waterfall. Do you have any suggestions on what to do in a weekend in/ around Lusaka? The weekend after that I will be around Kitwe and Kabwe (I'm in Zambia for work for 2 weeks..), is there something you can recommend around those areas?

Cheers,

Daan

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to and staying at Victoria Falls

Daan, I think a Zambian local will be able to answer that better than I can. I'm most familiar with Zambia's main game reserves and of course Livingstone / Victoria Falls region. I have not spent enough time in Lusaka to recommend how to spend a weekend there, as it is normally a stopover destination for me, en route to one of Zambia's game reserves. If Vic Falls is too far, the Lower Zambezi National Park is within reach of Lusaka, and so is Blue Lagoon National Park. See zambiatourism.com/destinations/national-park… If you don't mind a flight, why not spend the weekend at Lake Malawi?

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
319 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to and staying at Victoria Falls

Wild-wings - was planning to do similar next November (2014) but note your comment about Zambian side being dry - when is best time to see the falls in full fling. Also how easy is it to cross into Zimbabwe and see the falls - is it just a case of showing your passport on way in and out? Also booking my own flights from Jo'burg - how far is Livingstone airport from the falls?

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to and staying at Victoria Falls

I think in Zambia only best place u can visit is victoria falls , kariba lake so if unto going there then dnt look for any stupid things Justin visit Malawi lake

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to and staying at Victoria Falls

I think in Zambia only best place u can visit is victoria falls , kariba lake so if unto going there then dnt look for any stupid things Justin visit Malawi lake!!!!!!

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to and staying at Victoria Falls

haggisbasher, sometimes better to ask a new question as a new post, but in short, the falls are in full fling from March to June but this is also not the best time to view them, because the spray is so much that you cannot really see the actual falls from most view points. The best time for the Zambia side is around July and August, maybe early September, and again from mid December to about February. October and November is dry, and March to June is too much spray. These are estimates, and the levels are different every year depending on rainfall.

Going to see the Zimbabwe side is easy to do from Zambia, but depending on your nationality you will need to pay for a visa to enter Zimbabwe, and it also means you will need a double or multiple entry visa to come back into Zambia. It can be done on foot, but it's a long walk. Give yourself a good 2 hours to enjoy the falls on the Zambian side, and another 3 hours for the Zimbabwe side if you wish to see all the view points. Be prepared to get wet. Raincoats are available at the falls.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to and staying at Victoria Falls

... and when I say October and November are dry, I mean the Zambian side only. This is a good time to visit the Zimbabwe side, or else visit Livingstone island on the Zambian side and consider a swim in Devils pool on the edge of the falls - unforgettable experience.

Get answers to your questions about Victoria Falls