We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hot Air Balloon Ride

Washington DC
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Hot Air Balloon Ride

We'll be in South Africa and Vic Falls for the last 1/2 of September, and really, really want to take a hot air balloon ride while we're there. I've been told that there are none available near Cape Town during that time of year, and unfortunately our itinerary won't be taking us inland until Vic Falls.

Can anyone tell me if there are hot air balloon rides over the Falls, and if yes, which companies offer them? I've tried to find something online, but the info is pretty scarce.

UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
1. Re: Hot Air Balloon Ride

Hi there

Yes, due to the wet winters in the Cape, balloon flights only take place between November and April.

There is / was an operation at Vic Falls, but it is temporarily suspended....

It is a tethered baloon that goes up 400 feet on a rope and then back down again. Not terribly exciting! The problem is wind, a lot of river, chasms, gorges and 4 national borders within 20 kms. Not a very safe environment.

Will you be in the Kruger National park area of South Africa?

There is an excellent balloon company here. Bill Harrops - http://www.balloon.co.za/

Will you be touring along the Garden Route along the south coast? If you are, then visit Outshoorn and you can go from there. www.oudtshoornballooning.co.za/index.html

Otherwise drive out to Outshoorn from Cape Town, about 4 hours and stay the night..

If you cannot visit these areas, then I assume that you will be flying from Cape Town via Johannesburg to Victoria Falls / Livingstone.

There is a company based in Joburg called Air to Air Safaris .

http://www.airtoairafrica.co.za/

I suggest that you break your journey and overnight in Joburg so that you can take a dawn flight, which will leave you plenty of time to catch a midday flight from Joburg to VF / Livingstone.

Hope you get to live your dream!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Hot Air Balloon Ride

Thanks, Bwanakiko. Looks like we'll probably have to settle for the micro light over Vic Falls, which looks pretty awesome in and of itself. Will have to save the balloon ride for another trip!

dublin
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Hot Air Balloon Ride

There are Hot Air Balloon rides over the Magaliesburg ( near Johannesburg), however, I would not recommend Bill Harrops Balloon Safari.(There are 2 other vendors) The rides are extremely expensive, the owner " Mary" is very rude and ? deliberately misleading. One is promised " champagne" and is handed awful sparkling wine, one is transported back to the take off site in an old, broken down , dirty minivan....

Breakfast needs some imagination- all for the grand price of $400!!!! A rip- off of note!!!!!

Southern California
Level Contributor
530 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Hot Air Balloon Ride

Live out your hot air balloon ride over Angkor Wat in Siem Reap, Cambodia.

We just returned. The tethered balloon ride over Angkor Wat at sunset is about 10 min. & it's $15 US pp. Lovely views of Angkor Wat & a nearby mountain top temple.

Next time you're in southern California, drive out to Warner Springs (about 2 hours SE of L.A.) & go up on a glider. They are on 79 south, off the 15 freeway that goes to San Diego. They're a family owned business, the 'big' glider will hold a reasonably sized couple side-by-side. If you are fat, then you have to go up solo as you won't fit.

Don't go up on a hot day, as it gets really hot inside the 'bubble'.

They are experienced taking up the handicapped too.

Once the plane cuts the cord, there's no noise & it's truly wonderful.

A hour's drive SE is Borrego Springs, CA & the Anza-Borrego National Forest (cactus, roadrunners, jack rabbits, hawks, coyotes galore). The cactus blooms in mid-March. Prices in summer are very low due to the 120 F heat.

5. Re: Hot Air Balloon Ride

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Victoria Falls