We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overland Tour vs. Planning it Out Yourself

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Overland Tour vs. Planning it Out Yourself

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has compared the prices of an overland tour (Dagobar, G Adventures, etc) to just planning out the trip on your own. We would have about 3 weeks. The main places I'd want to go are Nairobi, Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Zanzibar, and ideally all the way to Victoria Falls (with some stops on the way if taking a bus). How expensive are flights between places? Buses? Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks!

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,145 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Overland Tour vs. Planning it Out Yourself

I don't think it's money that's the issue, it's time. Overland truck tours can move at a much faster pace than you can independently. They have their own transport, and everything is organised for you. Travelling in a nice spacious truck is also much more comfortable than by local buses. I don't think you'd want to spend quite as much time on the road travelling by local transport.

Having done overland truck trips in the (distant) past, I think you need to double the time to cover the same itinerary.

Bear in mind also that for some of those things you mention- Serengeti, the Crater, you're going to have to be on a tour or organised trip with a guide anyway.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overland Tour vs. Planning it Out Yourself

Hey there. Earlier this year a friend and I essentially traveled from Livingstone, Zambia (Victoria Falls) to Mount Kenya in 5 weeks. We planned this trip completely on our own. I personally like figuring out the logistics of local transport in various countries, so for me I very much preferred this option to an organized overland tour. The first portion of this trip was all by bus, connecting Zambia-Malawi-Tanzania. However, once we got into southern Tanzania, we flew from Mbeya to Dar for about $80 on Fastjet (1 hour or so flight vs 16? hour bus ride). Then, from Zanzibar, we flew to Nairobi ($200 flight in Precision, but then another $48 departure tax at the Zanzibar airport), cutting out another couple of days on buses, however skipping all of the attractions/parks in the Arusha area (we instead did a safari in Zambia. My only safari so I have nothing to compare it to, but affordable, great value and pretty much one of my top life experiences). A full week of this trip was spent on Zanzibar and another full week+ in Nanyuki/Mount Kenya area, so if you aren't trying to stay in any one place for an extended period of time, and are willing to perhaps purchase another flight to get you all the way south to Vic Falls a little more quickly, it could be doable in 3 weeks. If you have further questions about specific transportation we took/our budget, feel free to send me a message.

3. Re: Overland Tour vs. Planning it Out Yourself

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 07:16