We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jordan Safety?

NYC
1 post
Save Topic
Jordan Safety?

I am considering taking trip to Jordan in February 2010. Can anyone speak about safety issues while traveling in Jordan? Is safety an issue? Are there issues regarding terrorism, political turmoil, etc? I appreciate the help! Thank you!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
8,827 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jordan Safety?

Hi Jordan is a very safe country with a very stable government.The country is tourist friendly and most people speak English.Usually hotels where you stay can assist you on tours and travel as well.

Happy travel from damascushostel.

Jordan
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jordan Safety?

Jordan is an Extra Safety location.

What I mean is when you come to Amman the capital for example you will see tourists walking at night alone down-town and you can exchange chats with them and they would tell you how much Jordan is safe.

We do not get incidents in Jordan and I trust that the best days of your life will be spent in a vacation here in Jordan.

My advise is to try to visit as many places as you can and to enjoy more.

Take care.

Fontainebleau
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Jordan Safety?

In fact Jordan's record as far as terrorism goes is far better than most European countries and most certainly than of the USA as far as petty criminality and hassling is concerned.

You need have no worries whatsoever - many families are bringing young children to Jordan nowadays.

4. Re: Jordan Safety?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2010, 10:56
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
730 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jordan Safety?

The most dangerous time in Jordan is when you take a taxi to Petra. Those maniac drivers risk life and limb to save a few minutes. Or maybe it is just macho points. It is something you can tell your grandchildren about if you live through it.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
8,827 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jordan Safety?

Jed 3 dangerous drivers can be found any where in this world,and not just in Jordan.I guess you have had a bad experience which is very unfortunate and could have spoiled your vacation.Yes i have seen one of those cowboys on the Hwy driving at 160 km/hour between Damascus and Amman.

happy travel from damascushostel

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jordan Safety?

What makes Jordan so safe? Is it a strong police/military presence along with strong law enforcement? Thanks. Chuck...

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Jordan Safety?

Jordan is a small country consisting of various tribes, clans and

other immigrants such as Circassioans, chechens and others from

neighbouring countries.

Notwithstanding that the people are generally law abiding and peaceful

people the religious and cultural obligations are paramount. Of course

like any country there is some crime but its generally lower and doesnt

take the form of western type crimes which people may be used to.

Serial killers are unheard of. rapes are rare, as are armed robberies and

such like.

Having come under the wing of the British for many decades the

Police and Militia tend to follow their system which they continued to

develop and is highly professional. Tribal affiliations and cultural and

religious adherance are an integral part of the police and military just

like other countries have regiments such as the British Army have Irish

and Scottish Guards and Lancashire Fusiliers etc etc.

Since many visitors to Jordan do have a blighted perception of the country

due to negative press coverage etc a visible police presence is in situ

although it isnt oppressive since most people will readily admit what nice police officers we have in Jordan if ever they have had the opportunity (or misfortune) to come into contact with them. Most visitors come into contact

with the police for lost property, accidents or minor traffic violations.

Aqaba
Level Contributor
507 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jordan Safety?

Also, I would like to add that local people don't like to mess with the police as they (the police) are not always so friendly when it comes to dealing with violators of the law. They can detain people for 1-2 weeks for minor violations before the court even starts to investigate the case.

So I would say that the police/military DOES have a strong position in Jordan. And there is also the "secret police" undercover...

It is of utmost importance for Jordan to maintain the image of a peaceful and safe country amid all the "bad news" about the Middle East in the media.

So, as a foreign tourist - unless you have malicious ambitions (like espionage or drug trafficking, etc.) of course - you are very safe and protected in Jordan.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
730 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jordan Safety?

syria - "dangerous drivers can be found any where". Indeed, this is true. Many people drive too fast and dangerously in every part of the world. I also have sped on roads.

But what I have never seen is when they are going on a curvy road, they go over the line completely to the other side, in order to 'straighten'the curve'. When this occurs, and when they can't see what is coming over the hill, It is frightening. And this happened with both drivers coming and going.

Get answers to your questions about Aqaba
Recent Conversations