We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tsumago and Nakasendo trail

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
tsumago and Nakasendo trail

My family of 2Adults and 1child (11yrs) am planning to do a side trip to tsumago from Nagoya in mid july.

We will arrive in Magome and do the Nakasendo trail to Tsumago. Then spend the night in hotel Kisoji.

Would appreciate any advice on items to prepare for the trail and also review on the hotel.

Thanks in advance

5 replies to this topic
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,834 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tsumago and Nakasendo trail

Apart from bringing comfortable shoes with a thick sole (the trail is paved with setts) I can't think of any particular preparation. I wore sandals with thick rubber soles and had no difficulty. The way from Magome to Tsumago starts up hill, but has more down hill bits that the other way.

Bring water with you as it will be hot and humid, although you will be shaded by the trees most of the way.

I found the short side trip to a waterfall (it is well marked) well worth the extra time and effort and the stop at the farm house that serves tea is a delight.

Your 11 year old will love ringing the "beware of the bear" bells.

As you near Tsumago, the trail becomes a bit harder to follow as it goes down residential streets (at least we did, perhaps we were more lost than we thought) but most of the time it is a very obvious wide path.

In Tsumago we stayed at the Minshuku Daikichi in Tsumago which we thought was wonderful. The food was delicious and the welcome warm. Tsumago feels much more special in the evening after the day trippers have left.

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
580 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tsumago and Nakasendo trail

We walked the route from Tsumago to Magome and took the bus back to Tsumago, which is another possible route for you. The waterfall was a nice diversion. We also enjoyed going through some of the small villages and seeing people involved in their daily routines. The bear bells are on walking staffs used by local hikers - we too walk with walking staffs and found them useful. Hiking shoes are nice but not a necessity. The walk is not that difficult.

We too stayed at Daikichi and loved it. Tsumage is quiet and lovely in the evening after the daytrippers have left and the souvenir shops have closed. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g321545-d333315…

Oz
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: tsumago and Nakasendo trail

Hopefully this link will be useful

We stayed at Hotelkisoji during our December trip. The Hotel is a western onsen hotel not a ryokan. Our family, 2adults/2teenagers enjoyed the hotel and what it had to offer. Stayed for a couple of days. I would recommend the Japanese styled rooms. Great onsen. Dinner and Breakfast is 'Viking style' - buffet although there is a Chinese and Japanese Restaurant on one of the higher floors. Free wifi in the lobby and library/sitting area. The Resort has a mini farm, I think there is horse riding (we only fed the horses and rabbits). Apparently there is also soba making classes.

Highly recommend using their free shuttle bus - timetable can be collected at reception. The bus stops at Tsumago and Magome and train station.

Take the shuttle bus from Kisoji to Magome and walk the trail to Tsumago. Shuttle bus back to hotel.

When we travel to country towns ,we usually stay in Ryokans but had just arrived from a two nights stay in a Roykan in Hikone and like to mix up our accommodation experiences.

http://www.hotelkisoji.jp/

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g321545-d112…

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: tsumago and Nakasendo trail

Thank you all for your kind replies. Much appreciated.

Leagle, Yes indeed. My boy is so looking forward in ringing those bells.

Millbrae, California
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tsumago and Nakasendo trail

My family and I will be doing the exact itinerary as the OP. We'll arrive in Nakatsugawa, then bus to Magome, then drop our luggage with the transfer service, then walk to Tsumago, then pick up luggage, and head to Kisoji Hotel. I have a question: where is the best place to find a taxi to get from Tsumago to Kisoji? Thanks!

Reply to: tsumago and Nakasendo trail
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aichi Prefecture