We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks business trip in Nagoya, after work things to do/see

Which Nagoya hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St-lambert
Level Contributor
902 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks business trip in Nagoya, after work things to do/see

Hello

I will be in Nagoya for two weeks, early September, If I am lucky and I have free evening, where are nice area for diner/drink and if more time city sightseeing sites ?

Merci

Sylvain

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks business trip in Nagoya, after work things to do/see

Do you know where exactly you'll be? Downtown? In a suburb? If not downtown, do you know the station name nearest where you'll stay?

Without question there will be interesting places within walking distance of either work or hotel; with a bit more information we'll be able to give more detailed advice.

In general Nagoya is a nice city; I've not spent too much time there myself, but I've spent time in some of the surrounding area, and I have some good friends that live there that I'll lean on for some local advice.

John W.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,337 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks business trip in Nagoya, after work things to do/see

The area around Sakai subway station should be the most happening. Nagoya station is also ok.

If you have any Japanese colleagues with you, see if they invite you to an izakaya where plenty of drinks will be consumed along with food.

By the way, if you will have a free weekend, consider heading to Kyoto for a couple days of sightseeing. Kyoto is as little as 35 minutes away from Nagoya via Shinkansen.

Edited: 12 August 2011, 03:11
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,026 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks business trip in Nagoya, after work things to do/see

I like Sammyfloyd's suggestion of Kyoto--I had not thought about how close it is.

If you have another day off, consider a day trip to Takayama http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5900.html. The train ride is a bit over two hours each way, but affords a pleasant view of the countryside (after a bit of urban sprawl0. Pick up ekiben (boxed lunch) http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=ekiben&f=hp at the train station, or wait for someone coming down the aisle to sell food, and nibble as you travel.

St-lambert
Level Contributor
902 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks business trip in Nagoya, after work things to do/see

Hello

I'll be staying at the Mariott on top of the train station, and I have been to Kyoto and Takayama in the past. I'm looking for area of many restaurants and bars, and not know places.

Merci

Sylvain

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,026 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks business trip in Nagoya, after work things to do/see

It's been three decades since I visited the Nagoya area...

Here's what Japan Guide has (I've seen none of the places in Nagoya; some didn't exist): http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2155.html

I spent a day touring the Ise peninsula (skipping the Mikimoto Pearl Museum). It takes an hour and a half to get there and it takes a while to get from place to place. I enjoyed the boat tour of Ago bay but thought there wasn't much to see at the outer shrine (didn't know the inner shrine was somewhere else). On balance, I thought it not worth the trouble.

Gifu city is on hardly anyone's list of must-see places (Japan-Guide barely mentions it and Trip Advisor has hardly any English-language reviews of the attractions) but it is only 20 minutes away and I enjoy wandering around places unseen by most foreign visitors. I recall the town as as being only mildly interesting, but I see that it does have a few attractions that I missed: gifucvb.or.jp/en/01_sightseeing/index.html The castle (a replica, I think) is way down on the list of famous castles, but does sit on a high hill with a view of the area. My guess is that you could pass a pleasant afternoon doing something like this: gifucvb.or.jp/en/01_sightseeing/01_14.html

6. Re: 2 weeks business trip in Nagoya, after work things to do/see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 15:18