We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nagoya to Minakami

Kyogle, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Nagoya to Minakami

Hi,

It will be my first time in Japan in April, I arrive on the 28th at chubu airport and wanted to stay overnight somewhere before spending a night in tokyo, before going to Minakami where my brother is. I'm training it with a JR pass to Minakami. My question is from Chubu airport what is the best place to stay overnight? I don't mean hotels I mean should i go to Nagoya first or another city overnight before Tokyo? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks Jill

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
674 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nagoya to Minakami

Depending on your arrival time. If you arrive during daytime, it is best going to Nagoya station where you can find affordable accommodation and explore in the central. If you arrive late, I would recommend hotels near the airport.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,234 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nagoya to Minakami

It might depend on your interests and arrival time.

Nagoya is not a major tourist destination, and there are no other major destinations between the airport and Tokyo. Check here to see if anything in Nagoya interests you: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2155.html Otherwise, if you're arriving late in the day, you might just stay at the airport and get an early start to Tokyo next day. Here are the hotels in the area: tripadvisor.com/…MAPVIEW If you're arriving earlier, you could just go on to Tokyo. It's a half hour from the airport to Nagoya city, about two and a half hours from the airport to Tokyo.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
674 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nagoya to Minakami

Nagoya is lesser known city among big cities in Japan but you can find many attractions. 1-2 days can cover the city.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
350 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nagoya to Minakami

"Nagoya is lesser known city among big cities in Japan but you can find many attractions. 1-2 days can cover the city."

I agree, it's a much underrated city. It does have the Atsuta shrine, the #2 shrine in Japan. Some consider it tied with the Meiji Shrine in Tokyo in that respect. It has a big zoo and a nice port area. There is a huge underground shopping arcade at the train station. Definitely worth a short stopover rather than Tokyo (if you've already been there). Foodwise, Nagoya is famous for a flat noodle dish, quality chicken, e.g. chicken sashimi, and miso tonkatsu. You can get the latter in obentos at the train station.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
674 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nagoya to Minakami

Tenmusu must be tried! Nice rice ball with fried prawn inside wrapped with seaweed paper. This came from Nagoya and quite tasty.

Tebasaki chicken (sort of Buffalo wings) is also nice nibbles. One can find many speciality restaurants in the city.

6. Re: Nagoya to Minakami

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 07:18