We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail pass

Sydney
Level Contributor
679 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Rail pass

We will be flying into Nagoya and intend to spend three days in Nagoya, spend a week in Kyoto and used it as a base to visit Nara, Kobe and surrounding areas as well as perhaps spend three nights in the Kumano national park.

My question is should we get a rail pass or just buy pay for the train fare as required?

Thanks

Lee

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
25,125 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail pass

You mean the nation-wide JR Pass? It's not going to pay off with your itinerary. What are you going to do in Nagoya for 3 days?

Sydney
Level Contributor
679 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail pass

Hi

Yes, the JR Pass. We are planning to stay with friends in Nagoya for three nights, then head off to Kyoto for a week and using it as a base to explore surrounding areas etc.

Did think about travelling to Nara and staying there for 2 nights but after further research, think it best to travel from Kyoto to Nara.

As we are departing from Nagoya, we have to return to Nagoya and stay for one night as we have an early flight to catch.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,505 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rail pass

I saw your proposed itinerary on your other postings, but I can't think of a pass that pays off. You really were only going Nagoya-Kansai region-Kumano and back to Nagoya I think? And this was over 2 weeks or so?

A JR pass wont pay off. Then I thought a Kintetsu pass that would get you from Nagoya to Osaka/Kyoto and back, but that only lasts 5 days and only good on Kintetsu lines so that would not work either.

I think pay as you go is the only way.

Sydney
Level Contributor
679 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rail pass

Thank you. That has also been my conclusion but so comforting that you reached that too. :)

Is staying a week in Kyoto much too long? We intend to use Kyoto as our base and travelled to Kobe, Nara, etc.

Cupert

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,505 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rail pass

Not sure if too long, depends on you and your pace of how you want to do things. Kobe-Osaka-Kyoto-Nara are not that far apart, so I really don't see the point of packing up and moving hotels within that region. If you can get a good place in Kyoto, you may as well make it your base.

One pass you might want to consider is this one

westjr.co.jp/global/…

It allows you to take 4 decent day trips...eg Okayama (nice gardens), Kinosaki Onsen, Shirahama/Shingu and a few others. Easy to get good value out of that pass.

Just be aware it does not cover Shinkansen between Shin-Osaka and Kyoto. For that section you have to use regular trains or a few limited express trains.

If you want more info on it, just ask in the forums

6. Re: Rail pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 05:19