We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch in Magome?

London, United...
Level Contributor
328 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch in Magome?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering whether anyone had a suggestion for a lunch suitable for a vegetarian in Magome? We'll be coming in from Kyoto, and plan on walking from Magome to Tsumago where we're booked into the Fujioto Ryokan that evening.

I've read several people say they had excellent soba noodles, but without details of where. Any thoughts or suggestions? Many thanks in advance.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch in Magome?

I"m sure you know soba dipping sauce and broth is normally made from fish. You might try spending a few minutes hunting for a vegetarian bento at Kyoto Station.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch in Magome?

Found one site - http://www.kiso-magome.com/osyokuji.html

London, United...
Level Contributor
328 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch in Magome?

Yes, as I'm a vegetarian for "ick" factor rather than moral/religious reasons and so will be attempting to avoid dishes with seafood but I'm going to overlook dashi for the trip in order to widen my food options. We'll be focusing on tofu and soba places for that reason, and I just didn't want to get stuck without thinking ahead a little when we get to Magome and have a limited time to find something I can eat.

Thank you for that link, although even running it through google translate it's pretty difficult to parse! I was hoping that as it sounds like Magome gets some pretty heavy tourist traffic that people might have experience with food there they might be able to share.

Japan
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch in Magome?

Soba, Goheimochi, Kurikowameshi (Kuriokowa) is traditional food of Magome.

Goheimochi go-centraljapan.jp/en/spot/index_82.html

Kurikowameshi is glutinous rice mixed with maron.

5. Re: Lunch in Magome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2016, 11:15