We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Takayama to Tateyama Alpine Route

asia
Level Contributor
666 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Takayama to Tateyama Alpine Route

I'm setting off from Tokyo and would like to know the following:

1. How to get from Takayama to Tateyama and the cost involved.

2. Are there buses from Tokyo to Toyama? I seem to find only shinkansen on Japan Guide.

3. Are there any recommendations of cheap accomodations in Tateyama (Toyama)? Or perhaps a hostel?

I'm travelling alone and would like to tighten the belt a little ;)

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,658 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Takayama to Tateyama Alpine Route

1. Train schedules and fares -

www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

2. Bus information - www.123bus.net/route/tyo/tyo-toyama.html

asia
Level Contributor
666 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Takayama to Tateyama Alpine Route

Thanks, I called bus123 by phone to find out their schedule. Unfortunately, they do not have a bus that goes from Toyama to Takayama nor vice versa.

However, when I went to the http://www.hida.jp/english/access/ I've noted that it is only 1.5 hours by train to get there. But I can't find the bus route for it.

Would it be advisable to visit both places? Chances are...after this trip, I'd be visiting other countries and unlikely to head back to Japan coz I prefer to see the world.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Takayama to Tateyama Alpine Route

Gemsy

We'll be doing the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route in about 4 weeks time. We're going from East to West and will spend the night in Toyama at the Comfort Hotel - quite well-priced, near the station, free breakfast and you can book on-line easily.I haven't stayed at this one before but we stayed at other Comfort Hotels in Japan last year and liked them.

I'm not quite sure how you intend to do the Alpine Route. Where do you want to start from? If you're starting from Takayama, the Nouhi bus goes from Takayama to Toyama, also the train. Then you have to get a train from Toyama to Tateyama to start the Alpine Route.

asia
Level Contributor
666 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Takayama to Tateyama Alpine Route

thanks ocean, my initial plan was to take a bus to Takayama and from there, to Toyama and thereafter to Tokyo.

However, now, my friends suggested that I should take a plane to Toyama then, from Toyama head to Takayama.

How are you getting from Toyama to Takayama? Is it by bus or are you driving?

Do you have the link to comfort hotel? Is that a ryokan?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Takayama to Tateyama Alpine Route

Hi Gemsy

We're going Osaka-Kanazawa-Takayama-Matsumoto-Tateyama-Toyama-Osaka.

So you have decided not to do the Tateyama-Kurobe Alpine Route now?

The website for Comfort Hotels is www.choicehotels.com. They are basic business hotels and have different kinds of rooms - single,double,twin,smoking,non-smoking etc.

asia
Level Contributor
666 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Takayama to Tateyama Alpine Route

Thanks Ocean.

No, I still want to do the Alpine Route. I'm starting to get confused. lol. But the Alpine Route is closed from 15 May. And I'm only going after that.

Ideally, I want to take an overnight bus from Shinjuku to Toyama, arriving at 6am. Then sightsee in Toyama and take the bus or train to Takayama.

Oh well...I still need to do a lot of research before i finalise my itinerary. The main hinderance is that the pages that are in English are not updated. I've already called the bus123. Unfortunately, they can't give any other info besides their own bus. Hence, I'm "stuck".

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Takayama to Tateyama Alpine Route

Gemsy, I think you are very confused.

The Tateyama-Kurobe route starts at TATEYAMA not TAKAYAMA.They are two different places.

Perhaps you need to look at a detailed map.

As for Toyama, I beleive it's a town of very little interest to tourists. We are only staying the night there as it will be late after we finish the Alpine Route coming from the Matsumoto end.

So are you going to fly from Tokyo to Toyama, then get the train to Tateyama to start the Alpine Route?

It sounds to me as if that's what you'll be doing, in which case you won't go near Takayama (which is the town of interest to tourists), unless you make a special detour there and back from Toyama before you begin the Alpine Route.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Takayama to Tateyama Alpine Route

And as far as I know, the Alpine Route is OPEN from the 15 May, not CLOSED. At least I hope it's open as it's the 20 May that we intend to do it!

asia
Level Contributor
666 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Takayama to Tateyama Alpine Route

Umm...so now who's right? June said in my other thread that it closes on 15 May...and you said it opens on 15 May. lol. ;)

Guess what? A coincidence...I'm arriving either same day or 1 day after you at Toyama ;)

Would you be heading to Takayama? Are you taking a bus? Coz I need info on the buses but the websites are in Japanese. *sigh.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Takayama to Tateyama Alpine Route

We are taking the train from Toyama to Osaka, but you can get a train from Toyama to Takayama or a bus(I think it's the Nohi bus).

I think June made a mistake when she said the snow walls would be finished on May 15. In a later post she says the Alpine Route opens on April 17 and the snow walls will be there until the end of May. This is why we're doing the Alpine Route on 20 May.

If you want to do the Alpine Route from Tokyo and then see Takayama, you should probably do it the way we are. Go to Matsumoto from Tokyo, then on to Shinano-omachi by train, then do the Route from East to West.

Alternatively, catch the train or a bus to Takayama from Tokyo, then after a couple of days get the train or bus up to Toyama and do the Alpine Route from west to east.