We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Takayama - Shirakawago - Kanazawa

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Takayama - Shirakawago - Kanazawa

We plan to travel from Takayama to Kanazawa, with a several-hour stop in Shirakawago, in mid-April just after the Takayama Festival.

From what I see on the Nohi Bus site, most of the buses to Shirakawago do not require reservations, but the ones that continue to Kanazawa do require reservations. They say the reservations cannot be obtained until a month before your travel.

Is it possible to make reservations from outside of Japan -- preferably online? Or do we need to be in the country, or perhaps make an international phone call for this? The Nohi Bus site makes it look like you might need to visit or phone one of their ticket offices to make a reservation, but I hope that is not true.

I hope to be able to buy a single ticket for this trip rather than the more expensive separate tickets for the two legs of this journey. Others on this forum have indicated that should be possible, but I am not sure how the reservation for only the second part of the trip (Shirakawago to Kanazawa) would work using a single ticket.

Edited: 15 February 2010, 05:23
NYC
Level Contributor
419 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Takayama - Shirakawago - Kanazawa

I am doing a very similar trip....about one week later. I also would like to hear the answer to this. I was planning to book my tickets when I got to Nagoya.....which will be about five days in advance.....

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Takayama - Shirakawago - Kanazawa

I'm also looking at this as an option for May, so any information would be much appreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,490 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Takayama - Shirakawago - Kanazawa

You only have to pay the cost of a single ticket (3300 yen) from Takayama to Kanazawa with an en-route stop in Shirakawa-go. Just specify your intention when you purchase your bus ticket, i.e. Takayama to Shirakawa-go, then Shirakawa-go to Kanazawa.

Upon arrival in Japan, you can ask your hotel to make the reservation for you through phone. Phone no. is 0577-32-1688 and is available only in Japanese from 9.00 – 18.00.

There is no on-line booking and if you really want to make a reservation before arriving in Japan, try seeking help from the helpful Takayama tourist information centre. Ask them whether they can book it for you. Their e-mail address is

hidatio@hidanet.ne.jp

The only thing to remember is that do your best to honour your request as they are doing it out of courtesy. If you really need to cancel your reservation, let them know well in advance.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Takayama - Shirakawago - Kanazawa

Thank you very much for the information. We will work through our hotel as you suggest.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Takayama - Shirakawago - Kanazawa

william 512, does this hold true for us staying overnight in shirakawago? thanks, ming

Edited: 06 March 2010, 02:59
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,490 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Takayama - Shirakawago - Kanazawa

I could not be sure if you are staying the night in Shirakawa-go. Try sending an email to Takayama Tourist Info. Centre and ask them if they can help.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus Takayama - Shirakawago - Kanazawa

thank you, i will do that. another question! i will be in nikko for the day on aug 17th. on aug 18th I will be hiking from magome to tsumago, staying a night at fujioto ryokan. I have to find a place to stay overnight on the 17th and thinking of nikko(probably too far), tokyo, or maybe nagoya. If nagoya, this gives me a head start to get to magome early for the hike and drop off my luggage for the luggage transfer to tsumago. now after that I"m off to takayama. what is the best way to get there? do I go up to matsumoto or go back to nagoya? after that we are off to shirago and then kanazawa. thank you so much. ming

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,490 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus Takayama - Shirakawago - Kanazawa

Nagoya is a good base for Magome and Tsumago. We used a rental car. Nagoya is also good for Takayama if travelled on JR. But if you go to Matsumoto after your visit to Kiso Valley, you can consider going to Takayama from Matsumoto by bus with an en-route stop in beautiful Kamikochi.

Sorry for the later response. I am in Japan right now and could not have access of a computer all the time. If you do not mind posting after March 21 or leave me a PM, I will try to get back to you with more detail info. after I get back home.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus Takayama - Shirakawago - Kanazawa

hi william,

is it difficult to drive in that region? i will already have a jr pass, but I like the freedom of driving? we will stay in nagoya overnight and get to magome early in the morning. take the hike to tsumago. and stay overnight. i looked into the kamikochi alternative, but it seemed like it was a very crazy busy place to go, esp by bus during august. so I decided to go to takayama and stay overnight. next day to shirakawago staying at koemon, and then kanazawa (not sure where staying?). would you recommend a stay in takayama or go straight to shirakawago? is there much to see and do in takayama? thanks, ming

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,490 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus Takayama - Shirakawago - Kanazawa

Hi ming, nice to hear from you again. Did you sort out the bus thing with Takayama tourist info. centre!?

Driving from Nagoya to Magome and Tsumago is quite enjoyable, weather permitting! We started from Nagoya around 9.00 and when we left Tsumago it was around 14.00. We first went to beautiful Ena Gorge, then Magome and then Tsumago. Parking is free in Magome but not in Tsumago. The 2 are just 15-20 min drive apart. We didn’t take the hike though. But if you drive to Magome and take the hike to bed down in Tsumago, how are you going to pick up your car. Are you hiking back to Magome the next day!?

Kamikochi is popular and will be crowded, simply because IT IS beautiful, esp. if you are into hiking.

Takayama is definitely worth spending at least one night. The town is small and can be enjoyed just by walking (if not going to the Hida-no-Sato folk village). Among the sights are Hida Kokubun-ji, Takayama Jinya, San-machi Suji district, Yoshijima-ke Jutaku, Inro Bijitsukan Museum, Takayama Yatai Kaikan, Shoren-ji and Shiroyama-koen. Of special interest is one of the 2 morning markets, esp. the one by the river. 2 more things you shouldn’t leave without are the souvenir Sarubobo faceless doll and Takayama’s famous dish of Hida Beef.